The main objective of this action is to support Uganda’s business environment in making it more conducive to inclusive and green investments by supporting
- priority policy and regulatory reforms triggered by a vivid public-private dialogue,
- partnerships sealed as a consequence of Uganda-EU networking activities,
- business roadmap implemented to remove key impediments to private sector operations and
- increased and greener investments and jobs. The proposed contract will assist in the implementation of the EU-Uganda private-public sector platform and the roadmap actions.
The contractor assignment will focus on establishing a functional secretariat carrying out or supervising activities as follows:
- Support SB4U Platform stakeholders to strategically engage with domestic and EU private sector, EU and its Members States diplomatic missions and cooperation agencies, and the Government of Uganda on key constraints, opportunities, and responses for sustainable domestic and EU private investment
- Facilitate strengthening the business links, partnerships, and the market access for domestic and EU private sector
- Monitor and advance the implementation of the current and future “Uganda-EU Roadmap” activities to improve the investment climate.
The SB4U Director will have a critical role for coordinating, facilitating, administering, and otherwise providing structure and form to the Public Private Dialogue (PPD) process. In addition to administrative and other duties, the Director will play the role of the ‘honest broker’ for the entire dialogue process. He or she is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the SB4U activities, maintenance of liaison with government and private sector, brokering of access to funding for studies, consulting with all stakeholders to determine their interests, willingness/ability to participate, manage Secretariat’s professional and administrative staff; Arrange meetings between the government and private sector representatives to agree on the topics and agenda of the dialogue process and facilitate discussion during the meetings; seek donor and government support for technical inputs when needed; Ensure that the partnership between the EU, the Government of Uganda and the Private Sector Foundation stays on course and that the suggestions agreed by the working groups are presented to the government and inform Government policy.
He or She will be the technical head of the Secretariat for the effective facilitation of the Platform including day-to-day oversight of the process, ensure that the work program objectives are being met; support the identification of champions, elaboration of operational guidelines and systems for the PPD Dialogue processes. Mentor and coach the Secretariat staff. Manage the relationship with all parties, build the capacity to advocate and dialogue with the government, the private sector and the EUD. Support the development of the operational guidelines/principles of the Forum, including the process for reaching agreements/consensus, feedback mechanisms, relationship with government and other relevant groups in Europe and in the country. Build the capacity to convene committees’ meetings, analyse and synthesise issues, identify emerging ones and manage the process from identification to implementation of recommendations.
Commencement date of the project: February 2021
Duration of the assignment: 24 months full time
- Good understanding of Uganda government structures and policies.
- At least 10 years of relevant working experience either in the private sector and/or in developing and managing technical assistance, advisory services, business projects or consultancy programs.
- Experience in management of public-private dialogue mechanisms
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Experience working with European Union in any capacity is an advantage.
- Knowledge of Trade and Investment matters is an advantage.
- Fluent in English
- Master’s or equivalent degree in economics, public policy, law, business, or a related field.