Job Title: Safety and Access Manager
Reports To: DCD- Operations, and dotted line to Regional Safety and Security Manager
Location: Maban, South Sudan with travel to Juba
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
RI is seeking a Safety and Access Manager South Sudan who will be responsible for ensuring and managing oversight of safety and security policy and strategy, developing contextual analysis, building capacity within the Upper Nile Sub offices safety and security teams, and developing and implementing context appropriate RI safety protocols and procedures across RI’s field and program locations in Upper Nile. This position is based in Maban (South Sudan), with a significant portion of time spent visiting field locations (where possible up to 30% travel) and providing support to RI’s South Sudan Country Director.
The position require that the SSM provide direct support to the South Sudan Team and Country Director for the oversight for operations in Upper Nile. In addition to ensuring that he/she works closely with staff, partners, communities and peers to enhance the capacity of the three sub offices, providing routine and timely analysis and incident reports to the Country Director, Area Team Leader, Regional Director and Global Director Safety and Security based in Washington, deploying as needed in support of Country Office teams, and developing regionally consistent strategies for the management of safety and security.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Planning and Preparation
- Design, establish and maintain security support systems, conducting scheduled and ad-hoc field visits at each program sites, including central and sub-offices and program delivery location for security assessments, audits and security awareness training across Upper Nile South Sudan.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment together with the local counterpart and audit of all existing security and safety policies and procedures and their application and practice by all staff at program sites, offices, residencies/guest houses, and with respect to all vehicles, drivers and standing SOPs; provides and implements recommendations in consultation with the Country Director and with RI Global Director of Security and Safety; changes must comply at minimum with RI Field Operational Procedures, templates and SOPs.
Advice and Report
- Leads an on-going process of design, establishment, review of security policies and procedures to ensure understanding, “buy -in “, and compliance by staff; routinely revises safety and security plans to adapt to evolving security situation in conjunction with country counter parts and country directors, and Global Director of Safety and Security.
- Maps and reports security incidents, ensures by weekly security reports in all Upper Nile locations and understands trends and threats; facilitates the development of situation specific , coordinated evacuation plans; writes well -researched security incident reports for review by Country Director and GDSSS GSO.
- Supports country teams with strategy in as whole.
Analysis and assessment
- Ensure that analysis of the South Sudan Upper Nile context is kept relevant and up to date with RI programs. Advice CD, Area Team Leaders and Regional Director on any important developments. Advocate for contingency planning where necessary and support teams in thinking about scenario planning and trend analysis. Including planning SRA’ and mitigations agreed to with separate in country SMT’.
- Ensure application of situation appropriate rules and guidance per RI’s Field Security SOP’s, RI Global Security Safety and UNDSS; conducts visits to RI’s field project offices and residential sites in Upper Nile to assess security and safety conditions; develops comprehensive risk assessments in conjunction with country counterparts, leading to the updating of effective security plans, train colleagues on the security plans and ensure compliance.
- Provide relevant input on all existing and new program concerning South Sudan both with pre analysis prior to go no go decisions as well as full involvement in budgeting at the time of proposal writing to ensure staff safety and security needs are met.
Capacity-building and gap-filling
- Train, supervises and mentor national country security staff/focal points. Recommend and/or provides staff training on safety and security in a proactive and positive manner that promotes inclusion, participation, and leadership among the entire RI team, including expatriates, relocatable and local national staff.
- Takes a lead on very regular safety and security drills for support offices inside South Sudan and supporting hubs: conduct safety and security drills, trains country counterparts in how to conduct drills, and ensures that counterparts implement drills regularly.
- Ensure RI is linked via all inter-agency and security coordination lists and fora to ensure RI security presence in the INGO community within the areas of operation.
- Liaises with local and regional UN & inter-agency security personnel on security matters for country programs; advises Country Director and RD as well as GSO Global Security on security issues; provides security briefings and updates for RI staff and visitors.
RI SRM Compliance.
- Ensure all South Sudan Upper Nile South Sudan areas that compliance is met. At a minimum bi annual SRA’ for all areas concerned are updated as are Country security plans, RIGSS etc. Further to this the implementation of compliance is considered in all areas as mandatory. Ensure that Upper Nile RI teams do regularly comply and carry out evacuation drills, head counts, travel authorization etc.
Other duties as advised
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience in a similar role with equal responsibilities
- Proven ability in security management and/or crisis management in an unstable and insecure environment. Previous experiences managing humanitarian crisis/emergencies an added advantage
- Effective technical/instructional skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple complex tasks independently
- Strong leadership and communication (interpersonal, verbal and written) skills
- Excellent computer skills with solid knowledge of MS Office
- Experience in training adults using modern methods.
- Experience in a multi-cultural environment necessary
- Experience in conducting assessments preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30%
This is position is based in Maban Upper Nile South Sudan with frequent trips to possible High Risk locations.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by February 20, 2020. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted.