The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 30 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Upon request, the Roving Finance Controller provides technical assistance to field programs and staff in matters of financial processes & procedures and will therefore be deployed to IRC field offices in various countries on a temporary basis. This position includes constant international travel to developing countries and requires high flexibility in terms of physical movement from country to country and duration of assignments.
- Temporarily assume the position of the country or program office’s Financial Controller until a permanent controller can be identified and trained;
- Provide training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding IRC financial procedures and internal controls;
- Work with the Regional Controller, Finance Controller, Regional Director and Country Director to develop the job descriptions and Terms of Reference (TOR) of various finance field positions;
- Meet with the respective Country Director and Finance Controller at the beginning and end of each assignment to discuss to discuss the terms of reference and the findings;
- Prepare a trip report for each assignment and submit to various stakeholders;
- Participate in and facilitate regional and international finance conferences as required;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of changes in IRC financial policy and financial systems;
- Assist the Senior Regional Finance Controller with other duties as required.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, or Finance – Masters Degree a plus;
- Professional certification highly desirable: CPA/CA;
- Min. 6-8 years progressive NGO accounting experience in an international development environment;
- Previous experience in a humanitarian emergency setting highly desirable;
- Detailed knowledge of fund accounting, procurement and financial management of USAID and UN cooperative agreements;
- Knowledge of US Government, European Union, and United Nations donor reporting regulations highly desirable;
- Highly reliable and flexible approach to professional responsibilities: the ability to change course at a moments notice, yet remain focused and productive;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues in diverse multi-cultural environments;
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to be productive under pressure in a fast-paced team environment;
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively independently and as a team member and ability to meet unexpected demands;
- Strong Computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, various accounting software, and email/internet software; SUN/Infor Accounting knowledge highly desired
Working Environment: This position will be based overseas and will be travelling most of the time. Will be working from home if not deployed.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.