The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is seeking to fill up to two Resident Senior Program Manager positions for its Libya program. The positions will report to NDI’s Resident Country Director for Libya and will be based initially in Tunis, Tunisia, with travel to Libya as security and public health conditions allow. Under the direction of the Resident Country Director, the Senior Program Managers will contribute to NDI’s overall efforts helping Libyans in their efforts to establish institutions, processes and practices that are inclusive, responsive and accountable. The Senior Program Managers will support: the design and implementation of program activities; representation and partnerships with Libyan organizations and the international community; management and professional development of relevant NDI program staff; and oversight of various fiscal, administrative, and grant-related processes.
- Design, lead and provide assistance to programmatic areas in relevant areas of expertise, including: youth leadership development, organizational development, policy advocacy, parliamentary strengthening and political party development;
- Ensure programmatic goals are achieved and reporting requirements are adhered to;
- Foster capacity building of partner organizations and institutions, providing technical assistance and direct training as applicable for their success in achieving program goals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key partners in civil society, government and counterparts in the international policy and donor community;
- Provide day-to-day management, oversight and mentoring of program staff;
- Ensure adherence to relevant and applicable institutional policies and procedures, as well as funder/donor regulations, ensuring the integrity of all financial transactions.
- Oversee the designated program budgets and expenses and oversee the submission of financial reconciliation statements;
- Manage grants issued to local partners, providing technical assistance to partners to ensure good financial management practices to increase organizational capacity, and to provide skills necessary to carry out their projects;
- Contribute to the submission of program-related materials, including regular reports that provide relevant political analysis and insight and/or describe activities, measure and evaluate program results, and lessons learned, as well as tell a broader story about impact;
- Serve as NDI’s representative at local and international conferences and meetings and assist with public outreach as designated by the Resident Country Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent educational background; advanced degree in a field of study related to political science, international development, public policy or a related subject preferred;
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in political environments and/or international development implementing democracy and governance-related programming. Expertise with areas such as youth leadership development, community engagement, local organization development, parliamentary strengthening, and political party operations strongly preferred;
- Experience leading and managing multinational staff, effectively including providing mentorship and guidance in the design and delivery of programs;
- Direct experience and ability to effectively transfer skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor, and mentor;
- Experience working in a civil society organization, parliament, advocacy organization, or political party is an asset;
- Proven ability to manage budgets and understanding of and experience with financial and procurement procedures, grant management, and international donor regulations;
- Experience in program design, strategic planning, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and networking skills, cultural sensitivity, and a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships with all levels of staff, government stakeholders and political leaders, US and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policymakers;
- High degree of organization and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated track record of providing insightful analysis of political dynamics, and to undertake research, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to identify, define, and effectively and innovatively resolve problems or respond to opportunities;
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations that are often remote and difficult to reach;
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English required, proficiency in Arabic preferred; and
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing, and familiarity with Google software and applications including Google Drive, Calendar, Gmail, etc.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.
To apply please visit our website at www.ndi.org/careers.