NDI seeks an expert in building strong political parties and movements to join its Belarus program based in Vilnius, Lithuania. The position reports to the Resident Director and is available immediately.
With an ongoing political crisis, democratic political parties and movements in Belarus face unprecedented challenges and new opportunities as they strive to give voice to citizen demands. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, creative political professional whose experience encompasses a wide range of skill areas, including: organizational development; strategic planning; grassroots organizing; candidate recruitments; using digital engagement; political communications; new and nontraditional forms of political organizing; and promoting gender equality and inclusion of traditionally marginalized communities. Strong candidates will possess experience in training and working with political parties/movements outside country of origin, as well as people and program management.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, early submission is encouraged.
Under the direction of the Resident Director, this person will contribute to a multi-faceted political party program. S/he will:
- Manage a program of assistance to political parties and movements, including new parties, to improve their role as effective political organizations, with a focus on adapting to a restrictive space
- Consult with party leaders on the design and implementation of each party’s outreach activity and internal training programs
- Conduct training for party trainers on topics related to various aspects of citizen outreach/engagement and party building
- Ensure that programmatic goals are achieved and operational
- Monitor and measure program performance, timing and results
- Serve as a point of contact between the field office and NDI/DC, particularly with respect to programmatic reporting on programs s/he manages and conducts
- Assist with strategic planning and program development for NDI’s Belarus programs
- Contribute to professional development activities within the field office
- Act as back-up for team members not present
- Anticipate programmatic administrative needs and ensure appropriate follow-through
- Manage programmatic budgets and developing work plans
- Provide day-to-day management, oversight, and mentoring of local program staff in the office as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in international development, political science, or management; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience as a political practitioner.
- Practitioner experience in political party capacity building and outreach
- Practical experience in program design, strategy and evaluation — experience implementing government donor-funded programs preferred
- Significant training experience in an international environment; experience in Eurasia preferred
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer and advisor
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with all levels of staff, policy makers, senior political and civic leaders, members of the donor and diplomatic community, and funders
- Exceptional analytical skills to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities
- Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders
- Experience working in a non-English speaking multicultural work environment and promoting staff development
- Fluency in English required, Russian highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows environment, Google applications, email technology, and spreadsheets
- Exceptional writing skills to effectively create clear and concise proposals and reports
- Ability to prioritize, delegate and monitor program responsibilities and tasks
- Experience managing staff
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
This position is available immediately; please submit a resume and cover letter by June 18. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related conditions.