The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Resident Program Director to oversee broad-ranging training and assistance programs designed to improve democratic governance, particularly on issues related to inclusive policy development and constituent relations, and capacity-building with a focus on inclusion, oversight, transparency and accountability strategies. The Resident Program Director will work with NDI’s team of expatriate and local staff, as well as issue-experts and training specialists to advise and develop specialized training plans, in consultation with elected officials and parliamentary staff, political party leaders and branches of national parties, and political activists. The ideal candidate will have at least 14 years of prior legislative and political party experience or possess broad knowledge of legislative organizations and operations and political party development to provide NDI with expertise and broad guidance in the design and implementation of NDI programs.
The position reports to the Resident Senior Country Director and is based in Baghdad with extended periods in Erbil, Iraq and occasional travel to other areas.
- Oversee the design and implementation of NDI’s political party and governance programs in Iraq
- Provide training and consultation to program partners on topics including: constituent relations, parliamentary procedures, legislative drafting, messaging and communications, policymaking procedures, and campaign planning and strategy
- Support NDI’s specific initiatives to promote the role of women and minorities as leaders within parties and parliament, as well as decision making process on governance and national reconciliation
- Maintain relationships with key partners in government, political parties, civil society and the donor community in relation to program goals and activities
- Manage and advise a team of international and local staff to ensure programmatic activities and goals are achieved and operational and reporting requirements are fulfilled
- Support data collection efforts to monitor and track program activities, in line with NDI’s performance monitoring framework
- Develop fundraising strategies with local and international donors to help raise additional funds in coordination with Washington DC staff
- Report to the Resident Senior Country Director and consult regularly with Washington-based staff on program progress and submit field reports to NDI/Washington that monitor and measure program results and political developments
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in international relations or a related subject; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years relevant work experience in a legislative environment and/or working political parties at the state/provincial or national level
- Experience in democratic governance development, preferably with parliaments, local governments, and political party organizations
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, policy makers, US and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, and funders
- Experience working in a post conflict, multi-cultural work environment and promoting staff development
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior government and political leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community
- Training experience and workshop facilitation skills
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer and advisor
- Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders
- Strong analytical approaches to problem solving combined with practical on the ground program development experience
- Experience in program design and strategic planning
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional political relationships
- Superior oral communications skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and negotiate
- Exceptional analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues, as well as public opinion research
- Superior writing skills, clear and persuasive and experienced enough to edit all types of team documents
- Working knowledge of Google Suite platform and email technology
- Advanced English proficiency required, Arabic language ability desirable
A generous benefits package is provided, including hardship and danger compensation. This is a non-dependent post.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.