The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is seeking a Resident Director with strong political acumen and management skills as well as experience with legislative development, civil society advocacy support, elections programming and/or political party experience to provide direction and oversee the implementation of its democracy support programs in Libya. The Resident Director in Libya reports to NDI’s Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This position is currently based in Tunis, Tunisia but may require travel to Libya if security context and travel regulations permit. This position is contingent upon donor approval of key personnel.
This position is being advertised at both the Resident Senior Director and Resident Director level. The most qualified candidate will be hired into the appropriate level based on his/her experience.
The Director will provide leadership and oversight to a team of talented and experienced national and international staff based in Libya and Tunisia. S/he will be NDI’s principal liaison with the donor community, representatives from the Libyan government, local political and civil society organizations and the international diplomatic and donor community. The Director will be responsible for overall office management, including financial and human resource management, as well as supervisory responsibility for the design, implementation and evaluation of all NDI-Libya programs. Close coordination will also be expected with NDI-Washington, including frequent communication with the Washington-based staff.
- Provide overall leadership and vision for the design and implementation of NDI’s programs in Libya with the support of resident national staff, expatriate staff, short-term consultants and trainers, and in coordination with NDI staff in Washington, DC
- Establish and maintain strong working relations with the donor and diplomatic communities, international organizations, and in-country partners, including political and elected officials and local civic organizations
- Manage frequent external and internal communication to produce high-quality program reports and effectively coordinate program activities
- Manage the successful implementation of NDI program activities, including evaluation and reporting
- Lead donor engagement and fundraising efforts for new programs
- Oversee the proper accounting, management, and planning of budget funds in coordination with the local accounting and NDI/Washington staff
- Manage expatriate and local employees, including hiring, performance reviews, staff development, program implementation, and adherence to human resource policies
- Coordinate, with NDI-Washington, timetables and staff assignments for developing proposals, budgets, work plans, and reports and ensure documents reflect NDI priorities, strategy, needs and objectives
- Coordinate regular informal and formal communication with NDI-Washington on program and political developments, including regular program and financial reports
- Provide, as needed, skills-building training and informal consultations for political, elected and civic leaders
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related subject
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years of substantive professional experience primarily in a political field, with experience working to expand women’s political participation, enhance political party and parliamentary capacity, and/or bolster civil society involvement in political processes
- Experience in program management, with experience implementing U.S. government-funded programs strongly preferred
- Experience working in conflict environments and post-conflict transitions preferred
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial, administrative, and security responsibilities
- Proven ability to effectively communicate skills and experiences to others as an advisor and/or trainer
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to political developments and programmatic activities
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community
- Demonstrated experience in navigating and ensuring compliance with host country legal and reporting requirements
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal, and networking skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain professional political relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and ability to work as a member of a team
- Oral and written English skills required
- Oral and written Arabic capacity a plus
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.
To apply please visit our website at http://www.ndi.org/careers.