Starting Date: 08/01/2023
CHISU is a project designed to enhance host country capacity to produce high-quality health information, to optimally manage this information, and to institutionalize evidence-based decision-making. The project will work with USAID- supported host country health managers, health workers, and other stakeholders to strengthen the enabling environment of health information management and strategic planning in order to: improve harmonization of fragmented information systems, reduce duplication of data collection, and improve monitoring and tracking of a countryâ€™s own health trends and priorities.
The Resident Advisor will primarily contribute to the following strategic objectives of the CHISU program:
- Strengthened governance and enabling environment of host-country health information systems
- Increased availability and interoperability of quality health data and information systems
- Increased demand and use of health data and information to address health priorities, gaps, and challenges
- Strengthened organizational development of local, non-governmental partners for sustained health data use.
The Resident Advisor will also be responsible for stakeholder engagement in order to clearly articulate the CHISU and the hosting Government HIS approaches to them and develop advocates for the approach.
Specific Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead CHISU activities in-country and ensure all activities are coordinated according to approved scopes of work and work plans;
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the USAID Mission and the hosting Government for CHISU activities;
- Ensure coordination with Ministry of Health, other ministries and stakeholders;
- Support the development and validation of supportive supervision tools, support materials and standard operating procedures to improve the HMIS functioning and use;
- Support the integration and interoperability of information systems across government with other existing systems;
- Support the design and implementation of national HIS architecture with all parties at a national level;
- Develop SOPs and provide mentoring to MOH staff to improve data collection, data quality and use at each level of the health system;
- Work with the HQ teams in the preparation of CHISU annual work plans, quarterly reports and annual progress reports to the Mission and CHISU headquarters;
- Ensure project financial systems and controls comply with generally accepted accounting practices and USG standards;
- Oversee monitoring of project activities and ensure incorporation of lessons learned into ongoing activities;
- Supervise local technical, administrative and financial staff;
- Perform other assigned functions relevant to CHISU globally as well as JSI work in country, based on the emerging needs either from the Mission and government agencies.
- Advance degree (MPH, MS, MIS, MA, other) in public health or related fields such as health systems or health information;
- At least 10 years â€œhands on experienceâ€ in HMIS, disease surveillance, M&E, data quality assessments and related areas, with a health or related international NGO or bilateral/multilateral organization;
- Experience working with HMIS and other systems in other countries;
- Experience in the development and operations of robust Health Information Systems and other systems e.g. community based information system;
- Experience with adult training approaches and excellent workshop and meeting facilitation skills;
- Sound computer literacy and IT knowledge with experience in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, statistical analysis software such as DHIS2, SPSS, SAS, STATA or EPI-Info;
- Superior analytical skills including quantitative research activities in terms of planning, implementation and data analysis;
- Good interpersonal and people management skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with other project staff, host country counterparts, USAID, consultants, other donors and international organizations;
- A team player but also able to work independently and to manage various projects on a daily basis with minimal supervision;
- Fluent in the French language. Working knowledge of English will be a strong advantage.
- Ability to travel as required by the position.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 06/05/2023.
No phone calls please.
Principals only please.