PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
Funded by the United States President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), the Program for the Advancement of Malaria Outcomes (PAMO) is a 5-year project that aims to control and prevent malaria morbidity and mortality, and thereby minimize the social effects and economic losses. It also contributes to the reduction of under-five all-cause mortality rate, as a result of reduced malaria mortality. This project which is working in 4 target provinces, namely Eastern, Muchinga, Northern and Luapula, will strengthen the Ministry of Health’s capacity to implement the National Malaria Elimination Strategic Plan (NMESP) at provincial, district, and community levels. The project which is now in its third year of implementation is building strong effective partnerships with communities, civil society, health facilities, provincial and district health offices (PHOs and DHOs), the private sector, and cooperating partners to scale-up and maintain internationally accepted strategies to fight malaria. PATH is the lead partner of the consortium that is implementing this project.
PATH is seeking a Research Officer who will be responsible for managing day to day activities of research work being implemented in Chadiza district in Eastern province. In conjunction with the Peace Corp Volunteer, she or he will be responsible for the coordination and supervision of research activities and to ensure that all research activities are implemented according to agreed standards and timelines.
The Research Officer shall be part of the Pre-elimination team based in Katete and will report to the Pre-elimination Program Coordinator for day to day management, administrative, and program activities and the Deputy Chief of Party for technical requirements on the research studies. This position will be on a fixed-term contract ending July 2020.
- Participate in research design including, where relevant, the determination of study clusters and working with a team of research assistants to physically locate those clusters.
- Prepare research sites including creating linkages with and informing relevant partners, stakeholders, and research participants on the research PAMO is conducting in the district, its purpose and its usefulness.
- Coordinate and support the recruitment, training, deployment, and demobilization of research assistants or data collectors and ensure that all relevant documentation required for advertising, hiring, and retaining research assistants are properly processed and filed.
- Supervise research assistants or data collectors during data collection exercises ensuring adherence to ethical research standards and prescribed protocols.
- Ensure that all research related documentation, particularly research instruments such as filled in hard copy questionnaires, consent forms, and ascent forms, are properly filed and secured as per the approved ethical requirements and standards.
- Manage electronic data collection processes. This includes but not limited to ensuring electronic gadgets for data collection are in good working condition, data stored on those gadgets is safe guarded, and the electronic transmission of data is timely and efficient. Ensure that all data is appropriately backed up and safely stored.
- Participate in research planning, progress review and dissemination meetings as appropriate
- Produce research process reports detailing what was done, how it was done and the key lessons learnt for donor reporting and future reference.
- Participate in data analysis, research report writing, and dissemination as appropriate.
- Assist in completing tasks assigned to the pre-elimination team in consultation with the Deputy Chief of Party or Chief of Party.
- Provide support to the Peace Corp Volunteer and the Logistics Officer for smooth running of the team in Chadiza.
- Carry out any other duties assigned to her/him by the Chief of Party or their designate.