We are looking for a highly qualified Research Consultant to conduct a report on migrants women’s living conditions in Libya.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world. DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected and vulnerable populations – refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world; and by advocating on behalf of conflict-affected populations internationally. DRC has been working in the Maghreb region, including Libya, Tunisia and Algeria since 2011.
DRC is currently implementing a Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4Mi) in Libya. 4Mi aims at improving data collection and more authoritative analysis to strengthen the protection of people on the move in Libya. 4Mi collects data on the conditions of mixed migration movements across various regions through in-depth interviews with migrants. It aims to illustrate the conditions and protection risks faced by people across the Sahara Desert and in Libya. Analysing the data collected through 4Mi allows to shed light on the protection concerns faced by people on the move.
4Mi utilizes informal monitoring methods using existing local agencies, key informants or localized stakeholders (community based agencies etc.) at key hubs and ‘hot’ spots through which migrant smuggling and migrant movement occurs. Innovative digital data gathering technology is used to maximize veracity of data and GPS verification of data sources.
In the context of specific protection activities from DRC targeting women and girls in mixed migration flows in Libya, 4Mi is producing two short report/briefing papers focusing on migrant women’s living conditions in Libya.
About the job
Under the supervision of the 4Mi Project Manager, develop a research methodology and report structure for the study and write two five pages reports (2500-3000 words) on migrant women’s living conditions in Libya. The reports will be based on a rapid desk review of the literature, interview with key stakeholders identified by 4Mi and analysis of relevant 4Mi data from Libya, Mali and Niger.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will be expected to provide the following services as per the attached ToR:
- Develop a research methodology and report structure for the study
- Carry out a quick desk review of existing literature
- Interview with key stakeholders and migrants identified by 4Mi Libya
- With support from 4Mi Libya, analyse relevant 4Mi data from Libya, Mali, Niger and Libya and corroborate it with existing knowledge.
- Write two reports of each 5 pages (2500-3000) highlighting findings and including interview and quotes of migrants
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Three years of relevant professional experience on migration and displacement
- Advanced knowledge of qualitative research methods, and data analysis techniques, previous experience with 4Mi data is an advantage
- At least three years’ professional experience conducting research on similar, related topics (post-graduate)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent command of spoken and written English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Advanced degree (at a Masters or PhD level) in political science, international relations or social sciences relevant to the topic of the study
- Written and verbal fluency in English
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 20 days contract. You must be available to start work from 25th Of September 2017.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 22/09/2017.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact Sonia Joly at 4MiPM@drc-libya.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to Sonia Joly will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website http://www.drc.ngo