*Position location is flexible to any PATH Africa Office location in addition to the locations listed.
**Please include a cover letter with your resume describing your interest in the position and how you meet the qualifications.
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
The Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases (MNTD) program is a leader in the effort to end malaria illnesses and deaths, refines and develops tools and approaches, invests in national programs, and builds data to empower national governments to pursue malaria elimination. PATH leads a consortium of academic and research institutions to implement the PMI Insights Project, which partners with PMI-supported countries to ensure the most effective and efficient use of resources to fight malaria and save lives. Key components of this work are to support country-led operational research (OR) and program evaluation (PE) to identify best practices for control and elimination and inform strategies to achieve and maintain high levels of intervention coverage; facilitate a consultative process to identify the most pressing country-driven gaps in malaria control and elimination policy, strategy, and implementation guidance and define a priority OR and PE agenda to address and close the gaps; and support the dissemination of OR and PE results in a clear and actionable way, to facilitate use of the latest evidence by national malaria programs and policymakers to improve malaria programming.
PATH seeks to recruit a Research Associate for the PMI Insights Project. Reporting to the Project Director, the Research Associate will provide coordination, oversight, and technical support for research activities at all stages of the research process from concept note and protocol development through data collection, data analysis, dissemination and support for research utilization. The Research Associate will additionally provide support to the annual stakeholder consultative process to define a country-driven OR and PE agenda. All activities will necessitate working effectively with multiple partner institutions to ensure strong collaboration and communication, timely and high-quality results from research activities, and effective support for utilization of research findings to shape malaria guidelines, strategies, and policies.
Lead coordination, oversight, and technical support for research activities:
- Facilitate meetings with research partners and funders, including technical discussions and routine updates. Develop meeting agendas and track action items.
- Contribute to comprehensive and transparent knowledge management for assigned research activities, including maintaining project repositories that are shared across project
- Support collaborative development of research concept notes and protocols.
- Create and own research activity work plans. Monitor progress to ensure timely implementation and outputs.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the protocol and provide oversight to ensure protocol adherence.
- Coordinate Institutional Review Board (IRB) submissions (including modifications) for research activities, and assure timely renewals as needed.
- Work collaboratively to identify and solve logistics, administration, programmatic, technical and/or communications bottlenecks as they arise to support timely and high-quality implementation of project activities.
- Support sub-awards to research partners by developing technical scopes of work for contracts, and tracking and reviewing partner deliverables.
- Contribute to monitoring the quality of research activities through remote supervision and field visits.
- Summarize activities, progress towards targets, and outputs for meetings, routine updates, and quarterly and annual reports.
- Contribute to development of tailored research uptake plans and support dissemination to facilitate research utilization.
- Support development of dissemination and communications materials, including developing content for briefs, website updates, reports, and presentations.
Provide technical support and assistance for global research prioritization activities:
- Organize and support stakeholder consultations to identify OR and PE priorities, including field surveys, qualitative interviews, and focus groups.
- Support synthesis and analysis of inputs gathered during the consultations.
- Provide support to documentation and knowledge management for the research prioritization process.
- Contribute to development of dissemination materials and support routine updates and meetings for the stakeholder consultation process and resulting research agenda.