About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Finance Reporting Manager, the Reporting Associate – Commitments & Budgets will be a member of the finance team providing administrative and financial processing to ensure completion of award accounting in accordance with funder directives. The Reporting Associate – Commitments & Budgets will assist in the tracking and internal reporting of financial commitments on an award level and maintain the award budget integrity within the organization’s accounting system.
Currently Internews’ Arcata, California Headquarters office is closed and staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The office will remain closed until at least 1 July 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. Candidates may be based in either the Arcata, California area or in a location that allows for collaboration with the Pacific Time Zone and our staff in the Headquarters office. Work hours are generally Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5pm; occasional irregular hours are required to accommodate international tele-conferences.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the Following:
- Create tracking mechanisms and reporting template of expenses committed by the organization via contractual obligations (or other binding agreements);
- Prepare monthly internal project reporting that incorporates the organization’s committed balances;
- Upload non-standard format budgets into accounting system;
- Assist in monitoring spending status of approved procurements and maintenance of purchase orders within the accounting system;
- Prepare and send monthly internal purchase order reports to Business Managers;
- Assist in monitoring program accounting and documentation to ensure compliance with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures;
- Act as a key participant in process improvement projects, including acting as subject matter expert for options and approaches for commitment and budget reporting;
- Assist in the preparation of funder financial reports in the absence of the Sr. Reporting Associate and Reporting Analyst;
- Other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- At least 2 years of accounting experience
- Ability to self-manage competing deadlines.
- General knowledge of not-for-profit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- High degree of social adaptability and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Intermediate MS Office suite skills, particularly Excel.
- College degree in Accounting, Business, or closely related field or bookkeeping certification
- Working knowledge of Universal Guidance 2CR200
- Working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- Experience with enterprise level non-profit accounting software.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.