About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Finance Reporting Manager, the Reporting Associate – Commitments & Budgets will be a member of the finance team providing administrative and financial processing to ensure completion of award accounting in accordance with funder directives. The Reporting Associate – Commitments & Budgets will assist in the tracking and internal reporting of financial commitments on an award level and maintain the award budget integrity within the organization’s Accounting System. The ideal candidate brings accounting experience and strong communication skills to a challenging role supporting international projects.
Currently Internews’ Arcata, California Headquarters office is closed and staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This office will be closed until at least 1 July 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. While it would be ideal to have a candidate based in the Arcata, California area, we are also considering remote based staff for this role who are in a location that allows for collaboration with the Pacific Time Zone and our staff in the Headquarters office.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Creating tracking mechanisms and reporting template of expenses committed by the organization via contractual obligations (or other binding agreements);
- Preparing monthly internal project reporting that incorporates the organization’s committed balances;
- Uploading non-standard format budgets into Accounting System;
- Assisting in monitoring spending status of approved procurements and maintenance of purchase orders within the accounting system;
- Key participant in process improvement projects, including acting as a subject matter expert for options and approaches for commitment and budget reporting;
- Assisting in the preparation of funder financial reports in the absence of the Senior Reporting Associate and Reporting Analysts;
- Other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- College degree in Accounting, Business, or closely related field
- At least 4 years of accounting experience
- Ability to self-manage competing deadlines
- General knowledge of not-for-profit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- High degree of social adaptability and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills, particularly Excel.
- Experience in accounting procedures training to a variety of staff skill levels
- Experience with multi-state payroll processing and related regulations
- Working knowledge of Uniform Guidance 2CR200
- Working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- Experience with enterprise level non-profit accounting software
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.