Job Title: Regional Representative
Based in Washington, DC, or West/Central Africa
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it’s global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Executes regional strategy aligned to the PSI global strategy across a portfolio of PSI countries. Guides country level strategic planning and strategy execution, operational management, capacity building, and sustainability through and with country level leadership leveraging a thought partnership approach. Provides insights to the Strategy and Insights (S&I) team on strategy execution of the PSI global strategy to inform future strategy iteration and development. In conjunction with the Department VP and Head of Program Management, supports PSI Country Representatives to ensure that all countries within the assigned portfolio meeting performance expectations and delivering on operational execllence (OpEx) objectives, including financial, human resources, and compliance. Responsible for maintaining the quality and integrity of PSI’s operations, while giving country representatives maximum sensible discretion and authority. Has direct oversight over Country Representatives, and matrix oversight over Program Management Team support.
- Executes regional strategy as set with and by the Strategy & Insights team plus technical teams. Inputs into the wider PSI strategy and strategic and operational planning processes. Supports Country Representatives in setting and monitoring country objectives and strategy to ensure alignment to the overall PSI global strategy.
- Monitors performance and holds countries accountable for meeting programmatic and financial objectives throughout the year (using MBOs and STEPS as anchors). Ensures key, flagship project bilateral and regional initiatives including achievements of program deliverables, targets, and spending are achieved.
- Assists in building, maintaining, and /or strengthening donor relations and identifying new opportunities, and expanding business in the assigned region/portfolio of PSI countries.
- Manages and provides coaching directly to Country Representatives and indirectly to project management and global services support staff and INM leadership. Works with HR to conduct strategic workforce planning, identify and pipeline talent for country leadership, and ensure diverse, innovative and high-performing teams. Work with HR, legal and security to manage duty of care for staff, and any HR related complaints or cases.
- Works with both the Program Management Team (field- and DC-based) and technical leads in maintaining OpEx against compliance, technical leadership, and assisting with overall programmatic oversight and management responsibility
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field.
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (i.e. MBA, MPA, MPH) preferred.
- At least 15 years of related experience.
- At least 7 years of supervisory experience.
- Deep understanding of the full award life cycle management (start-up to close-out) and supporting country operations in a donor funded environment, preferrably in the fields of global health or communications.
- Significant field based leadership experience, demonstrated by previous country leadership experience in a least one country. Multiple country experience preferred.
- Expertise in key, technical, health areas relevant to the region.
- Significant demonstrated experience in government and donor relations and collaboration.
- Significant demonstrated fundraising experience.
- Significant demonstrated leadership and passion for building technical, management and leadership capacity.
- Fluency in English and French with excellent writing skills.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Must be authorized to work in country of hire.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.