PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
PATH in Ethiopia is currently implementing various high impact projects with the aim of saving and improving the lives of the most vulnerable and underserved women and children in the country. Currently, PATH is looking for regional level project coordinators for Afar and Somali regions to primary support and strengthen the national immunization program particularly the national introduction of HPV vaccine and other new vaccines through technical assistance. The position holder is also expected to provide technical assistance for the COVID-19 vaccine introduction in the regions.
The Regional coordinators will be seconded to Afar and Somali regional health bureau based in Semera and Jigjiga. The regional coordinators will report to the national senior technical HPV advisor and the COVAX over all responsible person based in Addis Ababa.
- The Regional Project Coordinators for HPV and new vaccine introduction as well as COVAX TA will work as part of the Technical Support Team and will provide technical assistance to Afar and Somali Regions Immunization team, Under the direction of the central team, lead the development of the detailed HPV, MCV2 and PIRI and COVID-19 Vaccine introduction plan with clear timelines and responsibilities.
- Develop regional communication plan for the national HPV rollout, MCV2 introduction and PIRI in collaboration as well as the COVID-19 vaccine implementation with RHBs and follow-up for timely execution of each activity.
- Facilitate regular review for the progress of the timely execution of all the pre introduction preparatory work and HPV/MCV2/PIRI implementation status with key stakeholders and partners, proactively support updating the timeline as necessary.
- Identify risks and potential delays to timely execution and subsequently work with RHB and PATH and other partners to develop mitigation plans.
- Facilitate discussions with regional education bureaus how to maximally reach target children that are enrolled in schools and make sure agreed actions are timely executed.
- Design strategy and work with RHB and other stakeholders how best to reach out of school target girls.
- Coordinate post-launch monitoring and implementation activities to support acceleration of coverage, including identifying bottlenecks and
- The Regional Project Coordinators will be based in the regional health bureau of Afar and Somali regions. S/he should be fluent in local languages i.e Afar and Somali languages.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Work closely within regional government to facilitate liaising with partners and stakeholders, in order to ensure continuity of the implementation of the planned activities for HPV, COVID-19 vaccine and MCV2 and PIRI introduction.
- Help develop detailed regional HPV and other New Vaccine introduction (NVI) plan as well as PIRI with timelines and clear responsibilities, taking into account information on the likely timing of the release of the Vaccine Introduction Grant and of Vaccine Supply
- Assist Afar RHB to facilitate the different technical working group meetings in preparation and timely distribution of training manuals, guidelines, job-aids, and communication tools on HPV, COVID-19 Vaccine, MCV2 and PIRI.
- Conduct preliminary supportive supervision and report the findings to the Afar and Somali RHB, zones and woredas on different preparatory activities of the HPV roll out and MCV2 introduction as well as PIRI including support to any necessary analysis of data
- Organize zonal and district micro-planning –exercise and collect and compile MPs at regional level.
- Support the PIRI regional implementation.
- Support and coordinate regional communication working group in developing/adapting appropriate communication materials for HPV roll-out, MCV2 introduction and PIRI to address all target population including out of schoolgirls for HPV.
- Follow up and make sure all vaccines and other necessary supplies are timely distributed.
- Facilitate advocacy visits to different stake holders at regional and zonal levels
- Support RHBs in clearly communicating roles and responsibilities of lower administrative levels in HPV, MCV2 introduction and PIRI in selected Woredas of the regions as needed
- Execute addition responsibility given by supervisor.