Position: Regional Pharmacist Consultant (Middle East)
Location: Home based
Reports to: Global Health and Nutrition Director (Direct line manager)/ Middle East Regional Program Director (Doted line manager)
Duration: Three (3) Months with up to 60 working days
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four members of the RI Alliance in the USA, UK, France, and Belgium. Under our alliance agreement, we operate under a single, shared management structure with one CEO and one Board of Directors.
The Regional Pharmacist consultant is responsible for supporting field teams in Yemen, Syria and Lebanon on medical procurement including accurate quantification of needs and quality assurance processes. This support will be delivered through specific training with country teams (in person as possible) and development of country-specific operating procedures. In addition s/he will be responsible for supporting the Yemen country office to establish and maintain emergency buffer pharmaceuticals stock. This support will involve oversight of buffer stock quantification and the development of standard operating procedures for the buffer stock and training of the team in their implementation. The consultant will ensure that the stock is appropriately dispatched and replenished using donor funds. As needed he/she may be required to support on other pharmaceutical procurement needs within the region.
Scope of Work
Support for quality assurance (70%)
- Development of country specific operating procedures that assure compliance with quality assurance requirements of Relief international’s global operating procedures and donor requirements
- Raise awareness of Relief International’s global and country specific standard operating procedures with regard to medical procurement through trainings guidance and coaching to project staff, Operations staff and field teams.
- Provide oversight of regional medical procurement to ensure compliance with quality assurance procedures
- Where possible, support the quality monitoring of field-level activities
Management of Pharmaceutical Buffer Stock – Yemen (30%)
- Support the Yemen team to systematize the quantification buffer stock requirements for ongoing requirements
- Develop standard operating procedures and tools to ensure proper management of Relief International’s pharmaceutical buffer stock
- Train and coach staff (including both health and supply chain and operations staff) on standard operating procedures and tools for the management of pharmaceutical buffer stock
Timeframe of consultancy:
- Number of working days: up to 60 days
- Expected start date: ASAP
- Duration: 3 months
Financial Proposal & Payment Arrangements
The consultant will submit a financial proposal based on a daily rate that includes all costs required for the performance of this assignment, such as the consultant’s fee, any taxes including meals and incidentals. The payment will be made every 2 weeks or monthly depending on consultant preference and upon submission of approved timesheets.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Master Degree in pharmacology or other related discipline
- 5 years of experience in pharmacology and pharmaceutical supply chain management
- Experience with the logistics cycle of health commodities, forecasting and quantification
- Understanding of common medical warehousing standards
- Previous experience with INGOs, UN agencies and donors (USG, ECHO)
- Experience in capacity development and delivery of trainings
- Fluency in English (fluency in Arabic an advantage)
- Competent in use of Microsoft Office Word Powerpoint and ExCel
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Self-starter with positive attitude
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Relief International is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Relief International (RI) is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to RI’s Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
How to apply.
- To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page
- You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting CVs from third parties.
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Relief International is committed to diversity and gender equality, we strongly encourage applicants from the global south and female candidates to apply.