PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties. PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH’s Market Dynamics program is currently recruiting for an Officer who is seeking to grow their career while making a difference in people’s lives. Specifically, the officer will support the following teams/projects:
- The Malaria portfolio within the Market Dynamics team primarily supports the VivAccess project, which has the goal of increasing access to new medicines and diagnostics used to eliminate vivax malaria in 10 countries. Specifically, the officer will support the market analytics aspects of this project and create insight into product markets needed to eliminate P. vivax malaria.
- The Medical Device Portfolio is growing its work increasing safe access to oxygen therapy. The portfolio is launching a new project as part of the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The project will expand on previous PATH work in the respiratory care space with the aim to increase access to oxygen and equipment in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The officer will support work developing tools to quantify the gap in access to medical oxygen and essential equipment.
- The position will be based in Hanoi, Vietnam working within PATH’s Market Dynamics team and will have a very close working relationship with Hanoi-based colleagues. They will work with Market Dynamics team members to define problems, conduct analyses, and apply findings to address market failures on new projects as they arise. The position will report into the VivAccess Mekong Regional Advisor, who is also based in Hanoi.
A successful Market Dynamics Officer will bring expertise in at least 3 of the following 4 areas, with the potential for on-the-job learning in the fourth area.
1. Market research
- Analyze primary program data and secondary data sources, including cataloguing relevant external research and literature to generate insights and provide strategic direction.
- Collaborate with global and country PATH programs to develop primary qualitative and quantitative research on global health products offerings (vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, and medical devices), price levels, manufacturer capabilities, and other supply-related questions.
- Support the evaluation of innovative and novel products for their suitability, health impact potential, and compatibility within existing health systems.
- Collaborate with regulatory and procurement bodies to ensure appropriate products are identified to meet demand
2. Economic analysis
- Using data, provide insight on why a market may fail to produce efficiency or equity. Contribute to the design of actionable strategies for markets to function in a way that produces better health outcomes.
- Analyze intervention strategies for target markets to inform decisions of governments, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Apply econometric methods to primary and secondary datasets to analyze trends, causation, and relationships.
- Contribute to research design and study protocol development.
3. Coordination across global health stakeholders
- Engage with key stakeholders to understand market needs and supply constraints. As well as understand the priorities and objectives of stakeholders.
- Coordinate with PATH partners, including multilateral organizations, manufacturers, nonprofits, and country governments, to ensure the supply and delivery of essential health products.
- Participate in and contribute to regular strategic discussions for project implementation
4. Data modeling and market analytics
- Develop, use, and establish best practices for a range of standardized tools, econometric methods, frameworks and modeling approaches
- Contribute to landscaping efforts, including creation of data visualizations to facilitate their interpretation by country and/or global stakeholders
- Support database design and management for supply chain and market analyses