Position: Regional Finance Officer – Africa/Asia (2 positions)
Location: Remote based or within one of RI Africa/Asia Countries of Operation (Pakistan & Kenya)
Reports to : Regional Finance Manager – Africa/Asia
About Relief International:
Relief International (RI) is a leading non-profit organization working in 16 countries globally to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
RI combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach – which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Regional Programs:
RI currently operates in nine countries in the Africa/Asia region: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, and Sudan, with a focus on the four RI sector pillars: Health, WASH, Education and Economic Opportunity. RI currently employs more than 3,000 staff (direct and indirect) in the Africa/Asia region and implements a range of emergency response and development programs valued at approximately $50 million USD on an annual basis.
The Regional Finance Officer is accountable as the regional finance focal point for the assigned country offices in the region. S/he is responsible for supporting the capacity building efforts of country office finance teams, providing oversight of country offices, ensuring compliance with local laws, regulations, RI and donor policies and procedures including quality and timely internal and external reporting, consolidating and monitoring regional activities, performing quality financial management analysis for decision support and providing gap filling for key finance positions in country offices. S/he will proactively work with the Regional Finance manager and GSO Finance management on key issues and opportunities to find and implement solutions at the country office level.
Financial accounting and reporting roles:
- To provide support and coordination in accounting, financial, reporting and budgeting processes for RI Country offices assigned.
- Oversee and support country offices in to implement, maintain and improve financial management system, policies and procedures.
- Perform quality reviews and analysis on monthly l financial reports for the Country Offices. These reports include – balance sheet, income statement, Bank/Cash reconciliation reports, BVAs, forecasting and budgeting.
- Ensure NetSuite data is correct on monthly basis, review the reconciliation of intercompany accounts between countries and GSO.
- Ensure all transaction details are correct and BVAs in the NetSuite system are accurate. Making sure all BVAs in USD, EURO and Local currency as uploaded by Country FMs are accurate.
- Oversee the month end closing process for the assigned country offices ensuring that timelines set are adhered to and complete a month-end review checklist for each country.
- Support Country Offices in cash and receivables management by ensuring that the countries submit a completed RFF template on or before the 25th day of each month.
- Work with Country Finance managers to provide training and oversight to country finance staff in order to enhance and develop country finance staff capabilities.
- Carry out regular support visits to countries if required, including the induction and training of newly recruited country key finance staff.
- Support Country Offices in the preparation of their Operational/Master budgets and reviewing the same on quarterly basis to ensure that all the changes in the country are updated.
- Review and provide support during donor proposal budgets preparation to the country offices.
- Ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations. Perform compliance reviews of donor financial reports and finalizing the reports for submission.
- In Consultation with RFM, provide policy clarifications and assistance to the Country offices in understanding and complying with RI and donor policy and procedures.
- Provide support in response to audit findings and follow up on the implementation of Financial audit recommendations by the assigned country offices.
- Ensure that all financial records and backup documentation are archived monthly on the server (Box) and readily available for audits.
- Provide support for UK and US statutory audit by coordinating the provision of support documents by the assigned countries.
- Ensures Country Offices are in compliance with local government tax law and tax reporting.
- Carry out regular review of bank accounts and Bank signatories and ensure compliance with banking policies of RI.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Equity and Diversity commitment
- Demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of systemic diversity and cultural differences.
- Ensure that gender equity is addressed in our staffing and programming
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure all people who come into contact with Relief International are as safe as possible.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a highly dynamic, proactive, autonomous and flexible individual with previous exposure and work with international NGOs and humanitarian programming. An excellent communicator and team player with fluency in English and who is at ease working in a highly diverse team, capable adapting communication styles to different audiences.
- Bachelors’ degree in Accounting and Finance
- Chartered accountant or CPA equivalent preferred
- Progressive experience in NGO or non-profit organizations and familiarity with international donor agencies and governments grants administration
- Familiarity with accounting software, specifically NetSuite a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to train and motivate others.
- Ability to travel widely in the Africa/Asia regions.
- Demonstrated ability to, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment and discipline
- Logical and critical thinking skills, and a comfort working with spreadsheets
- Strong independent task management skills and techniques, ability to prioritize and organize own workload
- Comfortable absorbing workload under stress periods
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English, including consensus building.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team with a high degree of drive, initiative and autonomy
- Willingness to accept and absorb direct critique and participate in two-way dialogue with peers and managers to improve work quality and results
- Proven high level of computer literacy and advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Ability to travel internationally to support country programs
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation