This is a fixed-term appointment for 3 years, which may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff with a regular appointment, his/her selection will be for an initial fixed period of 3 years subject to Section 5 of Administrative Order No. 2.03 (“Performance Management, Selection, Transfers, Promotion, Position Classification and Staff Level Complement System”) and the terms of his/her regular appointment. For ADB staff selected with a fixed term appointment, such appointment will cease and he/she will be given a new appointment based on Section 5 of AO 2.03.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The position is assigned within the Office of the Director General (SAOD) of the South Asia Department (SARD) but outposted to the India Resident Mission (INRM). SARD is responsible for providing lending for projects, project implementation and knowledge sharing in the region that supports inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration. SARD’s operations including sector and thematic work cover Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Regional Economic Advisor will provide leadership and coordination of economic work and development research of SARD, and is expected to identify opportunities for policy dialogue on substantive economic, thematic and sector work. The advisor is also responsible for quality control and timely delivery of economic outputs in the region. The advisor will supervise one or more International, National and Administrative staff. The advisor will report to the Director General of SARD for technical, policy-related and operational matters and to the Country Director, INRM for day-today administrative matters.
- Lead background research on the development effectiveness of ADB operations in South Asia, and coordinate inputs into the Asian Development Outlook (ADO) and Country Information Notes (CIN) for South Asian countries and its updates.
- Support the conduct of high level policy dialogue in India, and broad discussions on substantive development issues with senior policy makers, influencing policy discussion through advanced knowledge of economic issues, and provide quality and timely advice to SARD’s regional management team (RMT).
- Lead and coordinate the review, assessment and analysis of South Asia’s macroeconomic performance and prospects in the context of its development objectives with the assistance of country economists.
- Coordinate county economic and policy studies/research for South Asia with emphasis on structural and institutional challenges to high, sustainable, and inclusive growth.
- Coordinate the work of SARD country economists by identifying a common agenda for research and knowledge product development.
- Serve as a focal point to coordinate ADB’s liaison with government agencies, development partners, think tanks and research organizations in South Asia to promote coordination, synergies, exchange information, and promote research initiatives.
- Assesses cutting edge research to determine what issues ADB should pursue in its regional and country research agenda, strategy formulation and operational program.
- Lead and coordinate the publication of flagship economic and operational research products to support operations in India and the region.
Relevant Experience and Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Economics, and/or Development Studies. A Ph.D. in Economics is preferred.
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Senior Technical Staff Level 7.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.