Regional Director Africa
Relief International is seeking an accomplished leader within the development and humanitarian sector to lead our Africa Regional Programs.
Location: Nairobi (Kenya) is the preferred location with frequent travel to the Africa Country Offices (other locations considered within programme locations in Africa, London, Lyon or DC)
As the Regional Director, you will have significant management responsibility leading operational management and grant portfolio across three countries (Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan).
You will provide guidance and support to the Country Directors to ensure that all programmes are delivered to the highest quality and achieve the intended impact. You will explore the possibility of expanding RI’s presence in one or more countries.
As a member of the Global Leadership Team you will provide programmatic expertise from the region to impact global strategy.
You will bring a passion for humanitarian relief and development work, with a proven record of delivering successfully. You will bring a long-standing background in the development and/or humanitarian sector, including significant experience of direct management of country programmes.
Possessing the ability to work effectively under pressure in a complex and rapidly changing environment. You will be an innovative and strategic individual, possessing a strong people management skillset and showing commitment to Relief International’s values and mission.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV following the link below.
Due to limited resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting CVs from third parties
Relief International is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Relief International is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children as a priority. This is reflected in our pre-employment checks and requirement to verify and check the identity and references of all applicants.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Regional Director Africa
Department: International Programs
Location: Nairobi, Kenya is the preferred location with frequent travel to our Africa Country Offices (other locations considered within London, Lyon or DC)
Reports to: Senior Vice President International Programs
Staff reporting to this post: Three Country Directors for S omalia, South Sudan and Sudan and a regional Management Team of four direct reports and three indirect reports
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 17 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Africa Programs;
The Regional Director (RD) manages programs in three countries — Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan, with a focus on the 4 main RI sectors: Health, WASH, Education and Economic Opportunity.
Relief International currently employs 850 staff (direct and indirect) in the region and has a range of emergency response and development programs valued at 30 million USD on an annual basis.
The Regional Director will provide guidance, supervision and support to Country Directors and senior managers within the Africa region.
Directly responsible for the overall regional and country strategic planning, successful program delivery and performance management of country programs within the region. Additionally, have oversight of the program support operations (security, finance, HR, operations) and strengthening regional-level external relations and coordination. He or she will collaborate closely with all departments and support the Country Directors by making resources from the regional support team available, in order to ensure that programs meet the needs of partner communities and are implemented to the highest standards, on time and within budget.
As a member of the RI’s global Leadership Team you will provide insight and guidance on global-level strategy, approach, systems effectiveness and improvements to help strengthen the alignment of senior management with our work in the field.
The RD will provide strong leadership to all the members of the RI regional team. to build team spirit, cohesion, motivation, commitment, quality performance, to comply with agency policies and procedures, and to fulfill commitments to our stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Strategic Planning and opportunities
· Strategically position the country and region for new opportunities, foster innovation, and identify new programming opportunities and partnerships.
· Support Country Teams with the development of partnership strategies locally and internationally.
· Work closely with the global senior management team to facilitate quality communications with organizational donors and partners on programme impact.
· Ensure strong engagement of the Health, WASH, Education, Economic Opportunity and Protection specialists to ensure strong program quality.
· Oversee the development and submission of concept papers, proposals and other funding opportunities to ensure a strong pipeline for our country programs.
Quality Program Delivery
· Oversee and lead a broad portfolio of programmes in line with the organisational strategy.
· Ensure the region has appropriate infrastructure to response in a timely effective way to Humanitarian emergencies.
· Ensure on-time, on-budget, on-target programme implementation, provide troubleshooting and guidance on issue management per organizational standard processes and approaches.
· Work with the Operations team, Award Management, Program Development, Global Assurance, Technical Advisory teams to promote continuous quality improvement of country programmes.
· Liaise with the CFO and Finance team to conduct monthly reviews of field programme, and exceptional item expenditure, approval of no cost extensions, cost rates and annual budget processes.
Leadership and Management
· Provide effective leadership and management of the three Country Directors and the Regional Management team
· Ensure the effective performance management and learning and development of staff in the region.
· Security and wellbeing of all staff and operations are effectively are managed in the region.
Organizational risk management
· Work closely with global assurance team to review and prioritize risks identified for all country programs.
· Take steps to mitigate organizational risk for all the Africa operations through the close collaboration with all departments and support the Country Directors.
· Provide timely updates to the SVP International Programs and CEO on all aspects of program work and present updates to relevant Boards.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position will require a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
· Track record of achievement in a previous, similar role.
· Significant experience in the development and/or humanitarian sector including direct management of country programmes.
· Ability to lead/motivate teams in a positive and professional manner
· Demonstrated proficiency with government grants, public/private donors and finance management.
· Strong organisational analytical and administrative skills, including a strong ability to focus on detail and quality assurance.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet challenging deadlines.
· Ability to work and manage a highly complex security situations within the middle east context
· Ability to analyze complex organizational challenges and present innovative solutions.
· Excellent relationship management skills and ability to communicate in all forms (written, verbal, negotiation, presentation skills, etc.)
· Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice, as required for the successful implementation of the role.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
· Transparency and accountability
· Agility and innovation