Land O’Lakes International Development is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-folk, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
Land O’Lakes International Development is seeking expressions of interest for the position of Regional Agricultural Value Chain and Market Development Lead for the anticipated Feed the Future West Africa Trade and Investment Activity. The goal of the project is to improve the production, business capacity, market linkages and ultimately increase trade within and outside of West Africa, for ECOWAS members. This position will be based in a West African country (Burkina Faso, Senegal or Cote d’Ivoire) with frequent travel throughout the West Africa region. Candidates from both French and English speaking West African countries as well as international candidates are welcome to express interest and provide their CV or resume.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities:
The Regional Agricultural Value Chain and Market Development Lead will oversee a team of value chain and market development experts focused on strengthening inter-regional and international trade of staple crops and livestock. Working within the larger Trade Hub project and in coordination with the Technical Component Lead, this position will coordinate and manage activities related to livestock and crops market systems development from increasing farmer productivity to expanding local, regional, and international marketing opportunities.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
Candidates need not be expert in both staple crops and livestock but should have broader experience in agricultural value chain development management and market development.
- Relevant advanced degree (Master’s degree or PhD) in agriculture enterprise, agribusiness development, or other relevant course of study.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in market assessment, design and implementation of agricultural development projects in Africa.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating buyer-seller relationships and strengthening private sector networks in West Africa.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and French.
- Strong understanding of private sector-led approaches to crops and livestock market systems development, preferably in Francophone Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project with multiple implementation countries.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.