Position Title: Regional Advisor on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment/Safeguarding
Reports to: PIH General Counsel
Location: Monrovia, Liberia or Freetown, Sierra Leone
Position Type: full-time (may include evenings and weekends), travel required
At Partners In Health, our core mission is to provide a preferential health care option for the poor. Our work is rooted in resource-limited settings and with communities who may be vulnerable. We recognize the inherent power imbalance this creates, and we understand that such an imbalance of power can lead to sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. We are committed to ensuring that our staff and those who benefit from our work – including our patients, families and community members – are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment.
PIH is seeking an experienced regional advisor on prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and safeguarding who will be responsible for working with PSEAH focal points at PIH care delivery sites to implement PIH’s PSEAH program. This position will be situated at and provide support and mentoring for PIH’s care delivery sites in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, Malawi and Lesotho, and the Advisor also will be asked to assist at other PIH care delivery sites as requested. The Advisor will ensure that focal points at care delivery sites are trained and prepared to respond to reports of SEAH, lead the development of and assist with providing appropriate training for staff, assist with designing and consultation on community complaints mechanisms, provide support and coaching on safe recruitment procedures, and assist with mapping survivor support resources. The Advisor will serve as the lead investigator for the region and also will be required to handle investigations as needed. The Advisor will need to have demonstrated experience with PSEAH program support and implementation with sensitivity, accountability and urgency; an understanding of best practices for NGOs; and willingness and ability to understand PIH’s model of accompaniment and support in the countries where we work. Because this is a regional role, the Advisor must be willing and able to travel to remote and rural care delivery sites.
· Oversee, track progress and support implementation of PSEAH program at PIH care delivery sites, with focus on Liberia, Sierra Leone, Lesotho, Malawi and Rwanda. Provide support and assistance to additional PIH sites.
· Provide capacity building and mentorship to PSEAH focal points
· Develop training curriculum for PIH staff at care delivery sites, and assist with providing training
· Support community consultation and development of effective community complaint mechanisms
· Support and provide capacity building on safe recruitment procedures
· Support mapping of survivor resources
· Serve as lead investigator and also conduct investigations as needed
· Facilitate focal point community of practice meetings and resources
· Monitor best practices in the field and support updates to PIH PSEAH policy and manual
· Support establishment of safe environment for victims to make complaints safely and in confidence. Understand local cultural norms and context that may impede victims from coming forward and assist with developing processes that encourage victims to come forward.
· Other responsibilities as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
· 3-5 years of safeguarding/PSEAH experience
· Demonstrated experience in implementing PSEAH programs
· Demonstrated experience in leading and conducting PSEAH investigations
· Knowledge of standards and best practices for PSEAH for NGOs
· Experience working in complex environments and situations
· Prior project management experience in complex, fast-paced environment
· Ability to work independently and effectively and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging environment
· Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude, empathy, and strong work ethic
· Sound judgment and ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
· High proficiency in spoken and written English
· Demonstrated commitment to social justice and health equity
Organizational Profile Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change. PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable law in such countries, states and municipalities.