The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
The Receptionist Intern works in conjunction with the Receptionist and serves as the first point of contact for clients and visitors of the Baltimore Resettlement Center (BRC). The Receptionist Intern assists with ensuring that the lobby runs smoothly in order to support the clients, visitors and staff members of the Baltimore Resettlement Center. (Assistance is needed Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.)
- Welcome visitors, ensure timely service to clients, and assist to answer clients’ questions
- Help to maintain order in Reception area
- Answer direct and incoming calls
- Maintain the lobby and the children’s corner’s tidying up periodically during the day
- Update the lobby and hallway bulletin boards
- Receive and distribute USPS mail
- Process outgoing mail and packages (FedEx) and maintain the postage machine
- Assist BRC staff with special projects as needed
- This position reports to: Raika Jones – Receptionist
- Work well and thrive within a multicultural environment, learning to work effectively with populations with language barriers.
- Being able to master a high-paced work environment and execute multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Assess the administrative and operational needs of the office to ensure a smooth flow of business for all programs, departments, and agencies.
- High School Diploma
- Demonstrated experience with diverse communities and cultures
- Excellent communication skills, with fluency and spoken English Bilingual ability in one of the predominant languages of the local client base a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience in clerical duties strongly desired