The OGEAP evaluation consists of both a performance evaluation and an impact evaluation; performance evaluation activities include extensive qualitative research through document reviews, and individual and group interviews. This will be the baseline evaluation, to be followed by an endline evaluation in approximately three years, and potentially some midline evaluation activities (to be determined).
Position description: SI is hiring a qualitative researcher with experience in the energy sector in West Africa to participate in the baseline qualitative evaluation of the OGEAP. The researcher will form part of a four-person research team comprised of the Technical Director, Program Manager, and In-Country Coordinator. Ideally the researcher will be able to play a leadership role on on qualitative data collection and analysis related to OCEF grant facility design and implementation, implementation of the regulatory framework for off-grid energy, and changes to the off-grid investment climate in Benin.
Timeline and level of effort: Field work is expected to occur during the end of January 2020/beginning of February 2020. Preparatory work will begin almost immediately, including document reviews and instrument refinement. Analysis and preliminary writing will occur in February and March; however, quantitative data supporting the impact evaluation will be collected on a rolling basis so the draft report deadline is currently to be determined. In addition, some additional effort would be required for revisions after submission of the draft (likely in Q3 of 2020). The work is expected to require 6 days of preparatory work, 14 days of field work, 12 days of analysis and writing, and 2 days for revisions, for a total of 34 days.
- Conduct a desk review of relevant documentation, including review of OCEF manuals, grantee reports, the regulatory framework and any associated policies, and administrative data from ABERME and ARE (as available), and secondary literature
- Contribute to instrument refinement
- Participate in and/or lead interviews with selected stakeholders
- Take notes and produce clean notes
- Systematically analyze qualitative data (i.e., notes and transcriptions) using an agreed-to analysis approach, and ensuring triangulation between interview and document sources
- Contribute to the final report and report revisions
- Ensure quality work in all deliverables; implement SI quality assurance processes
- Work closely with SI personnel and communicate in a timely and effective manner with all project personnel
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field of study
- Minimum five years’ experience in carrying out related research
- Energy sector experience in Sub Saharan Africa; West Africa preferred
- Strong interview and qualitative data analysis skills, particularly leading Key Informant Interviews (KIIs)
- Extensive experience interviewing government officials (e.g., in formal and potentially sensitive circumstances)
- Fluency or full professional written and verbal proficiency in both French and English
- Experience with/understanding of business and market development, and development and implementation of regulatory policies is a plus
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines and adhere to high quality standards while working in collaboration with other evaluation team members
- Ability and willingness to travel in Benin for fieldwork
- Ability and willingness to comply with human subjects protection guidelines, SI internal quality control processes, and documentation sharing and collaboration processes
 Agence Béninoise d’Electrification Rurale et de Maîtrise d’Energie
 L’Autorité de Régulation l’Electricité