Working Title: Public Health Specialist-Surveillance
Internal Title: IN Program Officer II
Location: New Delhi
Reports to: Lead Health Systems Strengthening
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
About the project
The urban population in India is growing rapidly, and by 2050 it will reach 877 million—almost two-thirds of India’s population. Contrary to the popular notion of easier access to healthcare in urban areas, the health indicators of urban poor are often comparable or worse than their rural counterparts – including immunization, cancer screening, out-of-pocket expenses, etc. While the urban poor are highly susceptible to infectious disease, they also bear the burden of non-communicable diseases due to their dietary practices.
To address this widening gap, the government has launched several programs for strengthening primary health care services in Urban India – National Urban Health Mission, National Health Policy (2017), and Fifteenth Finance Commission (XV FC). Despite these efforts, there is a need to draw policy and investment focus as well ensure implementation of national programs in the Urban Primary Health Care landscape. PATH is providing Technical Assistance to states for improving access to primary health care services in select urban geographies. Under this goal, PATH will support the selected urban geographies with the following:
- Enhance the accessibility of primary health care services through Technical Assistance for implementation of National Urban Health programs and Quality Standards in Health and Wellness Centers.
- Strengthened capacity, efficiency, and resilience of the health systems.
- Catalyze community engagement for healthcare systems.
About the position
PATH is seeking a Public Health Specialist- Surveillance for PATH’s Urban Health program, based at New Delhi. The Public Health Specialist- Surveillance will work with National and state teams to strengthen surveillance and pandemic preparedness related activities in the urban areas.
- Lead the program design and strategy development for strengthening public health surveillance in urban settings in the selected intervention states
- Providing technical assistance for strengthening public health surveillance in urban settings including implementation and roll out of IHIP, community-based surveillance, environmental surveillance and innovative and technology enables solutions
- Work closely with the state leads and provide technical support to strengthen and streamline disease surveillance across the intervention states specifically in urban areas.
- Support and facilitate the strategic and overall coordination at National & State level of IDSP/ IHIP, One Health, AMR, Center for Environmental & Occupational Health, Climate Change & Human Health in the intervention states.
- Work closely with the National & State project teams and government counterparts to develop, implement, monitor state specific project activities including development of roadmaps, work-plans, activities, reports etc.
- Support in operationalisation of Metropolitan Surveillance Units in the selected geographies
- Provide technical insights and expertise on areas including preparedness, response and management of disease outbreaks.
- Proficiency in development of operational guidelines, tools, checklists, training modules, IEC materials and the other necessary resource materials for strengthening public health surveillance.
- Conduct field visits, to monitor and analyse the implementation of program activities in the selected urban areas and provide feedback to the concerned authority
- Work with communication and knowledge management team for documenting lessons learnt, implementation experiences etc. under the project
- Work with Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to establish systems for tracking progress, indicators and deliverables according to agreed work-plans to ensure state and donor requirements are met
- Represent PATH at the national and state level meetings involving government and development partners
- Perform other activities, as assigned by the supervisor to achieve organizational goals
- Thorough understanding of epidemiology, infectious diseases and disease surveillance including latest developments in IHIP, one Health, zoonosis and laboratory surveillance landscape.
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills in English and Hindi
- Self-starter and committed to performing their duties with a high degree of autonomy and independence in line with project goals and objectives.
- Proficiency in writing technical and programmatic documents such as briefs, strategy documents, learning resource packages, training materials and reports
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders include national and state government counterparts, donors, and development partners
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborative in a matrix organizational structure.
- Excellent coordination, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work and communicate regularly with a variety of team members in multiple locations
- Ability to handle a variety of assignments under pressure of deadlines
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook & Web surfing to search relevant data & documents.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40% of his/her time