Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified HLP Specialist, a key member of the Legal Assistance team. The Protection Officer / Legal Analyst will provide technical support and guidance to team, ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector.
About the job
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
- Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, child protection initiatives, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, facilitation of return and repatriation processes.
This position is based in Kyiv and reports directly to Protection (Legal Assistance) Programme Manager.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Programming & Operations
- Research and analyze law, by-laws, judicial and administrative practices on issues relevant for DRC-DDG program operations.
- Draft legal and information materials including position papers, briefing notes and leaflets
- Organize and facilitate roundtables/workshops/conferenceson legal and HLP issues at Kyiv and field levels
- Contribute legal input for proposals and reports to donors and authorities
- Contribute legal analysis for DRC-DDG legal alert and other project documents and tools.
- Facilitate training, on thematic legal issues including HLP rights, when necessary,for lawyers, local government and CSO actors at field and Kyiv levels.
- Write thematic report on legal issues including HLP rights
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with field lawyers to conduct pilot cases and strategic litigation
- Attend HLP meetings, collaborate and coordinate with HLP TWG on HLP advocacy
- Ensure HLP integration with other DRC-DDG sectors
- Support the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
To be successful in this role we expect you to strong financial and analytical skills and deep knowledge of the sector. Moreover, we also expect the following:
• Minimum 2 years of practical experience in legal sector• Field experience• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint• Excellent English proficiency• Fluency in Russian and Ukrainian
- Experience of work in international NGOs is preferred
- Good command of English – both oral and written
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’ core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 3 months with the possibility to extend
Start date: ASAP
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Labor Code of Ukraine Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 29/03/2019. Please note that DRC reserves the right to hire the candidate with the best qualifications and background before the deadline.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.