Overall purpose of the role
The Protection Manager will ensure the effective day to day planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of DRC’s programming in the assigned locations. The Protection Manager will be directly responsible for the protection related activities including but not limited to the establishment, training and support of Community based safeguarding networks, case management of migrant’s cases including unaccompanied and separated children, GBV survivors and other people at risk, establishment of referral systems to facilitate IPA for additional services, enhancing the capacity and reach of community safe house structures in Khartoum, the Eastern States and across Sudan, interim foster care/alternative care for migrant minors in urban areas and cash based assistance for urban vulnerable migrants and refugees. The Protection Manager may also be asked to contribute to the development of DRC’s strategy and develop Protection related proposals and engage with other Protection actors within the Protection sector to ensure effective coordination and collaboration externally and internally.
To lead this work, DRC is looking for a candidate with ambition and experience to supervise a strong team and ensure DRC continues to be a leading voice in protection, protection mainstreaming, integration, protection advocacy and coordination. The Protection Manager will be based in Khartoum but with travel across the country.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Project Management and Implementation
- Oversee the implementation of Route-based Migration Response programming, including programme quality and budget management across all field sites;
- Directly manage project teams ensuring that the DFID consortium activities are implemented following DRC’s global quality criteria;
- Support Consortium Partners in strengthening information management, including standardized databases for Case Management and planning purposes;
- Support donor reporting by providing accurate and timely input on migration and protection related sections;
- Participate in the staff recruitment process, new staff on-boarding and induction process, capacity building, and performance appraisal of project staff.
Programme Development and Quality
- Develop implementation frameworks for protection and migration, partner’s Case Management Strategy and provide technical assistance to roll it out, in coordination with partners’ focal points and the Global Specialist on Case Management at HQ;
- Identify gaps and opportunities for further programming, support needs assessments and gap analyses, and contribute to proposals and other programme development initiatives;
- Ensure that a protection risk analysis is in place and constantly updated in the area of responsibility.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Monitor protection and migration risks and needs in project sites on a regular basis in alignment with project requirements.
- Collaborate with M&E team to ensure monitoring activities are mainstreamed with protection and ensure Case Management of vulnerable groups while gathering appropriate and accurate data on protection outcomes;
- Lead the development of protection and migration assessments, with support from the Grants and MEAL Manager;
- Work closely with team to support the development of accountability activities, ensuring compliance with CHS.
Finance, Procurement and Administration
- Accountability for the management of protection programme budgets, with support from the Finance Manager, Consortium Manager and Head of Support Services;
- Ensure protection and Case Management Team raises Purchase Requests (PRs) in a timely manner, in-line with DRC standards, and follow-up procurement processed with the Supply Chain Manager;
- Ensure HR policies are followed, including completion of regular Performance Management Meetings, with all Case Management staff;
- Proactively seek training from the Support Services Department on operational policies and processes for Case Management team should gaps in understanding be apparent.
Coordination & Representation
- Support Consortium Managers in identifying partnership opportunities and liaising with local partners concerning Case Management activities and implementation;
- In consultation with CM, coordinate with national, local and international actors and participate in working groups and other sector meetings on Case Management related issues;
- Stay abreast of developments in the Case Management environment in Sudan and provide timely analysis on key issues on a regular basis.
Experience and technical competencies:
- University degree or higher education in law, social sciences, or related field
- At least 4 years of proven international experience in field-based protection in a range of settings
- Detailed understanding of humanitarian and Case Management principles and their application, including community safety and rights-based approaches
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Case Management standards and guidelines
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend DRC’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups
- Skills in Project Cycle Management and sound project management skills, including creating work plans, budgeting and delegation of responsibilities: sets clear milestones, organises work and monitors progress in a dynamic and quick paced environment.