With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF’s Prospect Research team is expanding in order to support our growing Development Department. Under the supervision of the Manager, Prospect Research the Prospect Research Associate researches, analyzes, and recommends strategy on donors and prospective donors with Major Gift capacity (both in the US and internationally).
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for Executive & Development Staff for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new opportunities with existing donors, through avenues including the following:
- Research on prospective donors suggested by staff and volunteers;
- Research on Membership donors who appear to have major gift potential
- Sphere of influence mapping
- Searching Foundation Directory Online and keeping up with the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- Participates in donor strategy sessions with Major Gifts Officers.
- Provides administrative support for the Prospect Research team.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- 1-2 years of experience of experience in Prospect Research, including experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis, NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common sources.
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint and analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information, find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and recommendations clearly, concisely and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with an environmental organizations a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.