Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees in Northern Uganda, West Nile and South Western respectively, since 1997. Having smoothly phased-out by end of August 2014 in the North, NRC reopened from September 2014, to compliment efforts of the Government of Uganda and UNHCR in supporting the South Sudanese Refugees currently settled in the Districts of Adjumani and Arua in West Nile. With funding from SIDA, NMFA, ECHO UNICEF and UNHCR, NRC is implementing integrated projects in Adjumani/Arua/Yumbe refugee settlements. NRC has implements an urban refugee project in Kampala. NRC now seeks to recruit a Project Officer for its operations in Bidibidi and Omugo (Yumbe).
The Project Officer will is to ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the water supply activities in Bidibidi and Umugo Refugee Settlements, Yumbe and Arua districts. The WASH Officer will assist the WASH PM in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming for both new installation/construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities and provision of safe water to the refugees and neighbouring host communities.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose
Key responsibilities will include:
• In collaboration with other members of the WASH team and support staff, participate in the design of programme activities (including proposal development) with clear timelines and deliverables; actively involved in the conduct of assessments and baseline studies in order to identify WASH related health risks priorities. Ensure that all assessments and data collection are done in an integrated manner and that a Do no Harm approach is employed.
• Conduct water supply and sanitation needs assessment regularly as required and advise accordingly
• Conduct routine assessment and monitoring the performance of motorized boreholes, hand pumps, generators, water pipeline networks, water storage tanks, daily water distribution, communal, HH and institutional latrines and advise on corrective measures or preventive maintenance on the water supply systems.
• preventive maintenance.
• Design the specification of high yioeld BHs, submersible pump, generator, elevated water storage tanks and distribution network.
• Monitor and supervise high yield boreholes drilling contractors, carrying out of aquifer monitoring procedures and tests and the interpretation of step draw-down, recovery rates and thereby come up with appropriate actions for remedy and sustainable exploitation of ground water resources.
• Collect, record and qualitative and quantitative data and facilitate community consultation to feedback the result of assessments;
• Work with the Programme support team, in particular the Logistics and Finance team on Market assessments
• Work closely with the hygiene team to mobilize the refugee community in the design, implementation and monitoring of WASH facilities and related services.
• Manage the NRC’s water supply systems and sanitation facilities in the refugee settlements and host communities, advice on the maintenance system, storage and supply lines, coordinate the entire team in responding to water supply and distribution issues, breakdowns, leakages and bursts in the watsan system.
• Ensure smooth and quality implementation of water watsan activities e.g emergency water trucking, borehole drilling & installation, borehole rehabilitation, test pumping, installation of storage tanks and distribution networks (pipelines, tap stands, and construction of latrines and waste disposal etc.)
• Ensure water treatment and routine water quality monitoring with regular feedback, reporting, and precautionary measures taken to ensure supply of treated/safe water at all times.
• As an Engineer, ensure the water and sanitation facilities designs are in line with the agreed standards. Support and supervise the contractor.
• Supervise and monitor construction of water and sanitation facilities in accordance to approved work plan, budgets, technical specifications and/or terms of reference (ToR), in coordination with sanitation/hygiene team.
• Degree in Environmental Health, Water engineering or any other relevant discipline.
• Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage
• Minimum of 3 years’ relevant working experience
• Experience in a Humanitarian or urban informal settlements work context an added advantage
• Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH/Water and Sanitation Engineering Projects specifically in hydrogeological, geological engineering
• Experience in a humanitarian (emergency) and development WASH programme preferably with an INGO
- Engineering sciences & technology
- Academy college / University
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
• Ability to work in patterns not usually routine and often under high pressure.
• Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
• Ability to give input to decision making on whether and/or on the scope, size and quality of the programme
• Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities