With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Under the supervision of the Director, Prospect Research the Project Manager, Prospect Research manages special projects, including those focused on qualifying upgrades from Membership, relationship mapping, and identifying prospective donors for specific programs.
The Project Manager, Prospect Research is also responsible for researching, analyzing and recommending strategy on donors and prospective donors with Principal Gift capacity and/or those who receive Executive level attention.
They will also partner with Principal and Major Gift Officers and Foundation Officers on strategy and help train and mentor Research Specialists and Associates on the team.
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for Executive staff for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ capacity, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships
- Partners with Principal and Major Gift Officers (focusing on strategy development
- Manages the qualification process around unidentified gifts, new donors & current members who make gifts of $5k+; responsibilities include:
- Acts as the team lead on all communications and workflow processes with Gift Processing and Membership so that that new donors and donors who upgrade move into the pipeline in a timely manner.
- Meets with the Prospect Research Associate regularly to review and discuss qualifications, recommendations, and snapshots.
- Meets monthly with the Catalyst Circle Director about strategy.
- Develops & manages special projects to expand our network & donor pool, and leads internal processes and discussions to ensure the assignment of newly identified prospective donors; prospective donors will be identified through a variety of techniques, including:
- Program-specific and regional prospecting & mapping
- Sphere of Influence Mapping
- Identification of key populations from our wealth screening results
- Helps train and mentor Research Specialists and Associates on the team:
- Presents tutorials and leads discussions on special topics (e.g., international research, understanding different types of financial institutions and giving vehicles, etc.)
- Involves them with special projects (e.g., help with Sphere of Influence mapping, etc.)
- Helps identify & acquire new sources for the Research Team and regularly evaluates existing sources
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new opportunities with existing donors.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 3-4 years of experience of experience in Prospect Research, including experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis, NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common sources
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint and analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data a plus
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information, find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and recommendations clearly, concisely and accurately a must
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is essential
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Familiarity with an environmental NGOs a plus
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.