Project Manager II (Grade 9)
Senior Project Manager I (Grade 10)
Reports to: Director, Project Delivery Team
Department: Delivery, Africa
Function of the Position:
This is a professional position providing home office financial, contractual, management and technical oversight of one or more field or home-office based DAI projects. The individual in this position is tasked with managing a portfolio of projects in a manner consistent with DAI’s ethics/compliance standards and with technical and other objectives specified in the contract. This position carries decision-making authority for one or more projects. Successful performance includes enabling projects to achieve quality programming and development outcomes. The Project Manager reports to the Director, Project Delivery Team and also participates in new business initiatives within Africa.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percentages below are notional and will change depending on business needs.
Implementation Quality and Client Satisfaction (Project Management) (30%)
- Provides home office management support and oversight on a day to day basis on one or more projects. Manages resources across project teams and encourages collaboration within broader geography. Provides oversight of operational activities, such as mobilization and demobilization of staff, home office-based procurement, etc.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for the Chief of Party (COP) and Home Office staff on technical, management, operational, and financial issues. Engages Human Resources (HR) and Director, Project Delivery Team on field personnel issues as needed.
- Works with the Directors, Project Delivery Team and COPs to manage projects in a manner consistent with DAI’s ethics/compliance standards and with technical and other objectives specified in the contract. Follows DAI policies and procedures in managing projects.
- Ensures overall contract compliance with client and DAI regulations and procedures. Resolves complex contractual issues with appropriate escalation and collaboration with Contracts and Director, Project Delivery Team. Manages preparation of budget realignments, contract modifications, and subcontract modifications.
- Ensures team drafts routine contractual documents using approved templates. Drafts Statements of Work for subcontracts review and approval for US based subcontractors and partners for assigned projects.
- Makes timely decisions; escalates to appropriate decision-makers as needed; keeps Director, Project Team Delivery involved in key management or technical issues on the projects.
- Works with COP and Director, Project Delivery Team to achieve Workplan targets and project deliverables on time and of high quality.
- Conducts and documents four Quality Performance Reviews (QPR)s per year for each project. Promptly addresses any potential or significant issues. Promptly escalates and seeks guidance on key issues.
- Receives positive client feedback of no less than satisfactory as documented in Contractor Performance Assessment Reporting Systems (CPARs) and Client Satisfaction Monitoring (CSMs).
- Participates in Short Term Technical Assignments (STTA) as necessary for management and technical oversight. May serve as Start-up or Close-down Manager or Team Leader as appropriate.
- Executes authorities listed in the Schedule of Authorities.
- Proactively identifies and analyzes areas of risk, advises project team on solutions and preventative measures. Ensures compliance with internal and external audit findings.
- Participates and provides support as necessary to the COP and field team during strategic planning sessions. Reviews, supports, and edits (with Director, Project Delivery Team (COP) STTA deliverables as requested by field.
New Business (20%)
- Significantly contributes to the Africa Region’s targets for gross profit won in successful proposals
- Works on at least two proposal teams as a proposal coordinator, pricer, proposal manager, champion, member of recon, or other role.
- Supports supervisees’ participation in new business by providing guidance on proposal role assignments, ensuring coverage of project responsibilities, and seeking feedback on supervisees’ performance on new business efforts
- Maintains awareness of region’s new business priorities and pipeline and gathers and shares intelligence related to proposal efforts.
Collaboration and Learning (10%)
- Contributes to the knowledge base and market expansion efforts of DAI’s Technical Sectors by sharing project knowledge and experiences; responsible for promoting project through success stories, DAI website updates, hosting project brown bags, etc. Contributes to cross-project learning with Technical Services group and throughout geography to deepen development solutions that are locally relevant, successful, and sustainable.
- Connects field projects with the relevant technical sectors in Technical Services, including facilitating participation of Technical Services’ staff in QPRs and other opportunities for knowledge sharing.
- Reviews new policies and procedures and, where needed, proposes changes for existing policies and procedures to enhance corporate efficiencies. Delivers trainings and acts as Quality Assurance reviewer.
- Supports and encourages Project Associates’ participation in technical sector activities, including meetings, presentations (internal and external), and events.
- Sets example of technical leadership and excellence.
Financial Management (30%)
- Accountable for managing project financial performance targets (with Director, Project Delivery Team and COP); leads project financial reviews, analyzes and troubleshoots financial issues. Working with COPs and Directors, Project Team Delivery, exceed budget targets for Gross Profit.
- Monitors and approves project non-billable costs; responsible for minimizing non-billable costs and ensuring they are lower than the standard set of Revenues.
- Works with field teams to monitor project burn rate and gross profit, explain deviations, and plan appropriately to compensate for deviations.
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy of project financial transactions and monthly project invoices. Reviews and approves home office payments (e.g., expense reports, vendor invoices).
- Monitors accuracy of project budget and provides analysis and solutions; understands financial structure of contract and advises COP and Director, Project Delivery Team on profitability implications.
- Assists home office and field team with quarterly corporate budget forecast review and approval process.
- Meets or exceeds productive utilization target and ensures staff also meets direct utilization targets.
Staff Management and Development (10%)
- Hires and develops staff consistent with DAI’s need to win, manage, and deliver.
- Supervises, trains and coaches Project Associates.
- Ensures COP receives DAI orientation and appropriate training.
- Ensures Project Associates have the required training as per the Learning Plan, skills, and support to successfully carry out their Scopes of Work.
- Encourages learning and knowledge sharing across DAI’s USG group and Africa.
- Conducts performance reviews and goal setting meetings for Associates.
- Completes a development plan for each Project Associate(s).
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as deemed necessary.
- Grade 8: Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 3 years of relevant experience and a master’s degree
- Grade 9: Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 5 years of relevant experience and a master’s degree
- Grade 10: Minimum of 9 years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 7 years of relevant experience and a master’s degree.
- Relevant experience relates to providing technical, administrative and/or management support to USAID-funded contracts or grants and/or performing USAID business development activities such as proposal coordination or management
- Knowledge of USAID regulations, policies and procedures
- Excellent presentation, speaking and writing skills
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time for DAI projects and new business development efforts in Africa
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Degree in international development, public policy, economics or related field
- Understanding of economic development concepts and experience with implementation on projects that may have included themes of competitiveness, economic growth, private sector development.
- Project field experience working in African countries
- Proposal writing and costing experience
- Experience with project recruitment
- Strong financial management skills
- Working knowledge of foreign language is an advantage
Supervisory Requirements: Supervises Project Delivery Team Associate(s)
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE – Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans