Main purpose of the role: To fulfil DAI’s development and business objectives through support to winning new business, helping to deliver effective technical assistance (TA) to our clients and beneficiaries, efficiently managing our portfolio of programmes, and providing inputs into knowledge management to help build our capacity to meet evolving development and business challenges.
Key tasks, duties and responsibilities:
You will be part of a team managing a portfolio of Economic Growth programmes across multiple donors and geographies.
The proportion of time allocated to each of the below activities will vary depending on workload, priorities and whether your career track is technical or project management.
In collaboration with BDU, Win through:
- Networking at the appropriate level with clients, partners and external consultants to enhance client awareness of DAI services and capabilities
- Assisting with the recruitment of high quality technical personnel in collaboration with the Recruitment Team
- Developing leads by undertaking research for the new business pipeline across DAI Europe clients, supporting BDU to develop and prioritise opportunities
- Cultivating client relationships and gain a better understanding of upcoming needs of our clients and beneficiaries, positioning for upcoming bids, complying with all DAI ethics and business development policies and representing DAI’s experience and capabilities
- Supporting allocated bids, including feasibility of proposed approaches and team composition/ structure, writing technical and management sections (if requested) and/or providing input for client proposals, attending (if required) proposal reviews, and commenting on draft proposal text.
- Act as the day-day support for designated projects
- Manage the project mobilisation and start-up processes including the development of appropriate project specific manuals and management processes
- Monitor project implementation using the Theory of Change, logframe and workplan as tools including achievement of milestones, and support in the preparation and delivery of annual reviews, evaluations and all key programme activities and deadlines
- Provide technical and operational support linking the field team to DAI Europe resources
- Provide support to review, edit, strengthen, and format project reports before client submission, including: establishing reporting timeframes, reviewing processes and team inputs, collating previous client feedback and ensuring requirements are understood and reflected
- Support, coordinate and chair (if requested) Quarterly Project Reviews with designated projects including tracking of agreed actions and monitoring of risk register and mitigation actions
- Provide support to the MfDR corporate initiatives by providing information as required
- Work with project teams and Project Accountants to establish and maintain robust financial management and tracking systems, including managing designated project budgets, ensuring adherence to project profitability targets, monitoring project expenditure and compiling accurate expenditure forecasts internally and to clients, and supporting the development of milestones
- Synthesise lessons learnt from project related processes and contribute to the revision and implementation of these processes within the Delivery Unit
- With the assigned Director/ Principal, facilitate the ongoing management of all consortia partners and sub-contractors; tracking labour, contracts and performance and escalating issues as they are identified as appropriate
- Support technical direction for programme delivery as directed by the Director/ Principal
- Provide technical support or undertake fee paying work (at the appropriate level) to Projects
- Provide support and guidance to the in-country technical team(s) to deliver against project outputs
- Under supervision of the Director/ Principal and/or Team leader, lead on specific project assignments and priorities (such as grant management processes, VFM analysis, communications etc.)
- Contribute to building the knowledge base as required on key technical areas
- Establish and manage a set of priority knowledge management initiatives, with particular focus on initiatives that align with the priority objectives of technical teams, to help communicate DAI’s development results
- Build own professional knowledge and stay up-to-date with relevant developments in the field
- Co-ordinate with other DAI Global teams and technical practices on priority areas for knowledge management in order to understand how particular projects align with the wider DAI project portfolio.
- Following donor-led initiatives and where DAI could position itself in the future.
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Degree in relevant field or equivalent
- Good understanding of respective technical area gained from work experience in international development
- Project management experience preferably gained from managing disparate or remote teams
- Work experience in a development environment (either in a developing country or with a development consultancy/ organisation) alongside experience of working with European and/ or International Donors
- Commercially astute with demonstrable aptitude in client service and management
- Good understanding of proposal development, programme management systems and standards, and best practice in respective technical area
- Excellent level of written and spoken English (able to write technically, and to write client reports; along with excellent communication skills. Also, the ability to negotiate in contexts with complex, cross cultural, multi-lingual teams.
- Driven and motivated combined with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally to deliver against programme and business targets
- Flexibility, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment with the ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Willingness to travel to any of DAI’s countries of operation including (if required) for project deployment for longer assignments.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant field or equivalent
- Over one year’s experience of working overseas, ideally in a less developed country
- Fluency in another language
The salary offered for the Project Manager will be commensurate with relevant experience. The successful candidate will work alongside colleagues in the DAI Europe offices in Apsley, Hertfordshire.
DAI offers a generous benefits package including, after a qualifying period, company pension scheme, private health scheme, life assurance, income protection, gym membership and cycle to work schemes.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
If this role sounds interesting and you would like to be part of DAI’s growing business, bidding for and managing donor-funded projects round the world, we look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date for applications is 10th January 2020 and interviews will be held in mid-January.