SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on our operations in Niger and SNV, visit our website: http://www.snv.org
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation in Niger seeks to fill the following position (contingent on donor funding):
Position Title- Project Manager
Duty Station- Niamey, Niger
Uncontrolled migration and destabilisation are issues that affect Niger and create problems there, as well as abroad. The main causes are lack of employment opportunities and marginalisation. Young people in Niger face systemic employment challenges due to (i) a mismatch between youth training and market needs and (ii) the ratio between job creation and population growth. There is a high but unsatisfied demand for skills in key sectors with high labour intensity. This Action will contribute to stimulating economic development and social stability by creating opportunities for youth employment, women and returning migrants through the promotion of job creation and businesses in the food and nutrition security, craft and trades sectors and the contribution to the development of an environment conducive to job creation through access to land, enhanced project management and access to finance. Given the fragility of the context, the insecurity and criminality linked to migration, the favourable environment approach will facilitate access to land and finance and will work in synergy with initiatives on good governance at local government level. Project activities will be implemented in Agadez, Tahoua, Zinder and Diffa regions.
The target groups in this project are marginalised youth, including women who are at high risk of migration and returning migrants, who may be influenced by radical groups.
Overview of the Position
The Project Manager has responsibility for overall management of the project which includes: efficient management of financial resources; review and approval of project budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations; procurement; supervision of monitoring and evaluation; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required. S/he will ensure full compliance with the donor contract and regulations and will oversee the project reporting process to the donor. S/he will oversee performance management of all SNV project staff working exclusively on his/her project.
Under the guidance of the Management Committee, under the supervision of the Country Director of SNV Niger and the support of the project team, the incumbent is responsible for leadership and coordination of program planning and management; coordination of programmatic themes; political analysis and will be in charge of the following:
- Execute overall project management;
- Guide the project set-up, including developing work plans, budgets and competence table with financial responsibilities and mandates;
- Build, strengthen and manage partnerships with regional governments, key partners, institutions and stakeholders;
- Manage donor relations;
- Overall management of all human, physical and financial resources related to the project;
- Monitor performance of the project management team to ensure all milestones set in the annual work plan are met, develop mitigation plans to reduce risks and take corrective actions to remedy any deviation from the work plans;
- Account and report to SNV and the donor on project performance;
- Guide knowledge development, documentation and communication and branding in close collaboration with donor;
- Identify follow-up funding and partnership possibilities with country management and business development.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification in Agronomy or Agricultural Economy;
- Minimum of ten years of progressive responsibility work experience in managing and implementing multi-faceted donor-funded development projects, preferably in Africa;
- Solid experience in project management, especially for EU/EDF funded projects;
- Able to strategically inspire and energies project teams;
- Sound experience in migration issues, youth employment and job creation;
- Background in/understanding of agriculture, preferably horticulture, agro-food utility crafts;
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Demonstrated experience in managing various stakeholders;
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with the private sector, civil society and governments;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills;
- Fluency in English and French is required;
- Willingness to travel to all project locations and to work in a fragile environment with security risks.
Contract Type: Employment
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV (no more than three pages) and letter of motivation before 22 December 2017.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted