Internews Network is seeking a Project Director for a potential US donor-funded program in Tunisia. Project Director will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ programs; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other relevant stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and compliments other media development initiatives. The Project Director will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives. The position requires a 100% level of effort commitment for the 18-month period of performance and is based in Tunis, Tunisia. Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants would need to be available starting September 2017.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ program in-country;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, including recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and activities and deliverables monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media issues in the region and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all funder rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the program, in particular with regard to coordination of activities and events at the regional level;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance; Internews staff are expected to follow our Global Safety and Security Policy and a Country Emergency Management Plan will be implemented on project launch;
- Serve as primary project liaison with DRL, as well as other international donors active in the region;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English and Arabic, French is a plus.
- 8 years or more of progressively responsible media development experience, including work with media organizations and / or women human rights defenders
- Excellent knowledge of the Tunisia context, in particular with regard to media and political transition processes
- At least three years’ experience in GBV program design and implementation, including at least one year of international, humanitarian experience.
- Awareness and knowledge of GBV issues, knowledge, skill and experience in participatory methods for community education and mobilization.
- Experience with US government-funded programs strongly preferred
- Master’s degree or equivalent preferred
- Previous experience developing collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations and donors;
- Development experience in the MENA region (5+ years preferred);
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects; and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurement plans;
- Expertise in gender-sensitive approaches and deep understanding of GBV highly desirabl
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets and strong knowledge of new media and/or broadcast media preferred;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.