Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information. For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organization operating international with administrative centers in California, Washington D.C., London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Internews also currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Internews is seeking a highly experienced Project Director for a potential project (funded by the Global Equality Fund) spanning multiple countries in the Caribbean and Africa. The goal of this project is to support lesbian, bisexual and transgender women (LBT women) in securing their fundamental rights of freedom of expression and assembly and ensuring their human dignity is protected. The Project Director will play a critical role in leading coordination amongst partners, directing timely and effective implementation, and ensuring activities safely and effectively meet project objectives. The PD will also ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel (including consultants), financial management, risk mitigation and management, performance monitoring, and administration, and will coordinate with other relevant stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other similar initiatives.
The PD will be based in Washington D.C. The ideal candidate will have 7+ years of experience working in international development in culturally sensitive contexts, specifically subject matter experience in issues related to LBT women in the Global South. She/he will have a demonstrated appreciation of universal secular ethics in the context of human dignity and human rights, an ease working with marginalized and vulnerable populations in international and challenging contexts, and across multiple time zones in both the U.S. and internationally.
NOTE: Hiring for this position is dependent upon future funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide general oversight of the project, including project management, strategic vision, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, data collection and management, and coordination with partners;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner LBT organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Exercise appropriate attention to the safety and security of all involved with the project, ensure that any data collection and management is ethically well-conceived and implemented with care, and that regular yet discreet consultations are carried out with leaders in the local LGBTI community and appropriate officials in selected embassies in-country to confer on potential and existing safety and security concerns;
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program M&E to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Oversee sub-grants to local partner organizations, including budgets, workplans, security, and reporting;
- Manage and mitigate risks, including physical and digital security;
- Ensure the project is in full compliance with all grant rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Represent Internews at key conferences and events, including those with funders and policy experts;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Support fundraising efforts to expand project’s reach and impact.
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible media development and/or information sector experience, including working with journalists, editors, media organizations, and/or other information providers, including advocates and CSOs working the human rights space.
- At least two years of experience living and/or working in the Global South strongly preferred;
- Experience with DRL and/or US government-funded programs strongly preferred;
- Relevant professional experience/proven track record of successfully working with marginalized and vulnerable populations, on social inclusion issues;
- Ideally will already have an established and trusted international network among LBT women and their organizations in the Global South;
- Master’s degree or equivalent strongly preferred;
- Previous experience developing collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations and donors; ideally in Africa and/or the Caribbean
- Experience managing and overseeing budget and budget planning;
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurement plans;
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets, and strong knowledge of new media strongly preferred;
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally;
- Proven experience and superior analytical writing ability for developing high quality narrative reports and proposals;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; with a demonstrated ability to work with people from a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French preferred but not required.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.