Based in Maputo, Mozambique
Reports to Country Representative
*This position is contingent upon funding
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
With support from the Government of Mozambique and international donors such as the Royal Netherlands Embassy, DFID, USAID, CIFF and other private foundations, PSI has worked in Mozambique since 1995. We have implemented social marketing and behavior change communications to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a range of health areas including sexual reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, WASH and cervical cancer. In Mozambique, PSI manages the largest non-state network of family planning clinics supported by 3 donors; manages the leading condom and water treatment solution brands with outsourced sales and distribution through a $100 million annual private sector distributor, applies adaptive learning approaches to develop new approaches, markets and technologies across innovative adolescent family planning, private sector PHC/SRH provision, and cervical cancer projects – all powered by a data driven culture leveraging a range of digital and evidence platforms. PSI/Mozambique differentiates itself by implementing innovative learning programs that inform and scale PSI’s programming, as well as national policy. The program is among PSI’s top CYP performers, has an annual budget of over $13 million, 4 offices in country and 200 staff.
We are looking for a Project Director to lead an anticipated 2,5 years’ World Bank-funded Urban Sanitation project in Mozambique. The project will support the increase in access to safely managed sanitation services in target cities, with the key project indicators being: 1) people gaining access to safely managed sewer connections; 2) people gaining access to safely managed on-site sanitation facilities; 3) amount of fecal sludge hygienically collected and adequately treated; 4) people trained to improve hygiene behavior/ sanitation practices; 5) Girls provided with access to school sanitation facilities and menstrual hygiene management facilities
Sound like you? Read on.
- Lead the two phases of the project: 1) Study and Design and 2) Implementation and support
- Provide expertise in developing and executing sustainable solutions for increasing demand and supply of sanitation products and services, including research studies on existing markets and barriers to growth.
- Serve as main point of contact/representative of the project to the Government of Mozambique and the Donor
- Facilitate senior level policy and dialogue and advocacy with the sub-national governments and relevant Ministries and partners.
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of the project resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with the Donor’s standards.
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting including annual work planning with sub-award partners.
- Contribute to supporting the design and dissemination of innovative solutions for sanitation products and services in Mozambique, including providing effective guidance and support to technical members of the in-country management teams and staff assigned to the project.
- Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds, including finance, research, marketing, communications, monitoring, evaluation and learning, in order to successfully co-create and support sustainable models for sanitation.
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections and monitoring of payments.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous, and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You are independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Must be authorized to work in Mozambique.
- Masters’ degree in Public Health / Environmental Health or related field
- Minimum 10 years working experience in commercial or social marketing or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in urban sanitation, hygiene promotion and behavioral change projects
- Minimum 2 years of successful experience as Team Lead/Project Director in behavioral change assignments, with progressively responsible supervisory experience, including direct supervision of staff; quality evaluation of staff performance and deliverables.
- Demonstrated skills in effectively negotiating with host governments, donors, UN agencies, other local organizations, and partners.
- Ability to successfully recruit, train, develop and manage staff
- Ability to manage agreements and all required programmatic and financial reporting requirements, including sub-grants management.
- Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day to day operations of the projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent management skills.
- Capacity to effectively deal with and resolve conflict.
- Fluency in English is required, fluency in Portuguese is a plus
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institution, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
Market developer: You have the demonstrated ability in the concepts, principles, methods, and techniques of delivering market-based approaches to sanitation.
Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision for the project staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
A connector. You have experience working with Ministries and Governments’ bodies, health care companies, or global health donors. You are able to spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Mozambique.
A Strategist and an innovator. The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative, and strategic thinker, and will have excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills; a passion for commercial approaches to development; and proven ability to produce results.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.