SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
For more information on our operations in Kenya and SNV generally visit our website: http://www.snv.org
SNV has been working in Kenya since 1967. In Kakuma and Kalobeyei, SNV has put a mark as a formidable facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. SNV continues to work in underserved areas facilitating energy access for lighting and cooking needs for households, SMEs and institutions through Biogas, Clean cook stoves & Fuels and Solar.
About the Project
SNV has decades of global experience in the biodigester sector both at technical advisory as well as implementation. SNV has championed the use of bioslurry for agriculture in various value chains such as dairy, maize, bananas, coffee, vegetables and tea among others. In Kenya, through the Africa Biogas Partnership Program (ABPP) SNV has facilitated access-to-energy and improvement of agricultural productivity through the installation of over 10,000 biogas digesters in partnership with local enterprises, NGOs, and governments.
In keeping with the Sustainable Development Goals, Kenya is increasing access to modern energy services for her people. Access to affordable energy is an essential prerequisite to achieving economic growth and poverty reduction. SNV is very keen to support this ambition by employing diverse innovative ways/models and to grow beyond the above two locations.
SNV Kenya is seeking to engage a qualified and result oriented consultant to fill the role of “Project Consultant – Field” (over 12 months). Reporting to the Sector Leader, Energy. The Project Consultant will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to the project sites Kericho and Kakuma or Dadaab (to be confirmed).
The Kakuma/Dadaab project to be implemented by SNV and its project partners is the installation of a decentralised waste water treatment system with biogas generation. The pilot system will be developed taking into account environmental, social and economic factors, addressing the needs of underserved communities in urban, rural and refugee settings that lack energy and water infrastructure.
The Kericho project to be implemented by SNV and its partners is the promotion of sustainable tea production among smallholder tea producers in Kericho County through biodigester technology. The main focus will be promotion of the biodigester technology for uptake, demonstration of bioslurry benefits on tea and establishment of sustainable biodigester market in the county.
The Project Field Officer will take on the day-to-day management of the projects with a focus on supporting project implementation on the ground and stakeholder engagement. Activities will initially be guided from Nairobi with frequent travel to the project sites.
Specific responsibilities include:
Project 1: Kakuma/Dadaab project
- In the implementation phase of the project (Month 1 to 6 – part-time Nairobi/project site):
- Overall coordination and logistics support for field trips for project partner and other team members
- On-site support for project site Kakuma and Dadaab, including engagement with local staff and stakeholders to evaluate implementation strategies, monitoring of project operation (following training by project partner).
- Support in sourcing of materials and labour for project implementation
- Providing data and information to the project partner as required
- Support the assessment of ancillary research activities on socio-economic and business model aspect
2. Through the project:
- Provide regular reporting within the project requirements
- Site support as required
- Other tasks that may be assigned from time to time
Project 2: Kericho Project
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with project partners and stakeholders
- Support sensitization/awareness creation on biodigester technology
- Deliver on provision of 60 biogas digesters to program farmers
- Lead in the development of demonstration farms to showcase benefits of bioslurry on tea as organic manure
- Setting up agro-investment support/check off system, readily accessible to tea farmers for biodigester uptake
- Assure proper learning and knowledge management for biogas sector
- Management of local on-site staff for quality control and maintenance of biodigesters
- At least 5 years experience in the energy or WASH sectors
- Relevant degree in engineering, agriculture or energy
- Professional experience in the waste-to-energy and biogas sectors
- Ability to work independently in challenging environments and geographic settings
- Strong commitment, passion and positive attitude to work
- Strong communication and reporting skills
- Proficiency in MS-Office, Excel and other computer applications for data collection
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team and be self-motivated
- Organised and methodical, with attention to detail
Desired start date: as soon as possible.
Duration of Contract: 12 months with fixed delivery man days per month (to be agreed upon with successful candidate)
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV that contains three referees in English before 10 March 2020.
Only shortlisted will be contacted.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment.