PROJECT COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Project Communications Officer
Period of Performance On/About (From – To)
End of Activity
Maximum Level of Effort
Base of Operations
Project Office, Kyiv, Ukraine
position reports to
Chief of Party
- Project Background:
The purpose of the US Agency for International Development (USAID) Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure in Ukraine Activity is to strengthen the resilience of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure from cyberattacks by establishing trusted collaboration between key cybersecurity stakeholders in the government, private sector, academia, and civil society. The activity aims to achieve this goal by implementing the following activity components:
Component 1: Strengthen the cybersecurity enabling environment
The legal, regulatory, and institutional framework for national cybersecurity in Ukraine needs to be strengthened and aligned with international standards and best practices. This component will strengthen the cybersecurity resilience of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure sectors by addressing legislative gaps, promoting good governance, enabling collaboration between stakeholders, and supporting cybersecurity institutions. This component will also build the technical capacity of key sectors through increased access to cybersecurity technology and equipment.
Component 2: Develop Ukraine’s cybersecurity workforce
Ukraine suffers from a severe shortage of cybersecurity professionals. This component of the Ukraine Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure Activity will address workforce gaps through activities that develop new cybersecurity talent and build the capacity of existing talent. These activities will address the entire workforce pipeline, the quality of education received by cybersecurity specialists, and industry training programs to rapidly upskill Ukraine’s workforce to respond to immediate cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
Component 3: Build a resilient cybersecurity industry
A growing cybersecurity industry in Ukraine will contribute directly to national security and prosperity. This component will seek to build trust and collaboration between the public and private sector to develop innovative solutions for future cybersecurity challenges; spur investment and growth in the broader cybersecurity market in Ukraine through greater access to financing; support smaller cybersecurity companies to rapidly increase the number of local cybersecurity service providers; and offer mechanisms for Ukrainian firms to connect with industry partners to enable better access to innovations and business opportunities.
Together the above components will improve short-term cybersecurity resilience in Ukraine and establish a solid foundation for long-term cybersecurity independence and leadership. Lessons and best practices from key critical infrastructure sectors will extend to all parts of the public sector, as well as to the private sector and civil society.
- Role’s Purpose:
The Project Communications Officer will oversee and manage all areas of project communications and reporting.
The Project Communications Officer will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following detailed tasks:
- Develop the Ukraine Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure Activity Communication Strategy, including utilization of social media platforms, for internal and external communications
- Oversee project deliverables for reporting, including establishing reporting schedules and developing reporting templates
- Build the capacity of the project staff in developing content from project activities
- Collect and organize data-calls to the relevant programmatic teams to solicit information on progress of project activities and service delivery projects
- Integrate, edit, and finalize communications products, including draft written materials, success stories, press releases, and regular reporting requirements (monthly, quarterly, etc.)
- Manage and store all documents in DAI’s management information system (TAMIS)
- Maintain and develop content for the project’s website in coordination with the IT team and USAID
- Work with the project staff to develop and produce marketing, outreach, and materials for events
- Serve as the point of contact for all local media inquiries
- Review and edit project documents submitted by subcontractors and grantees
- Serve as a liaison with media groups to cover specific and relevant project activities such as opening and closing ceremonies
- Provide quality assurance on USAID branding and marketing
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders, including institutional and private sector partners, to increase visibility and maximize coordination
- Monitor press coverage – including news wires, local newspapers, television, and radio
- Monitor and compile information regarding global and regional issues, trends, and events related to cybersecurity
- Coordinate on-demand information for USAID or other stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, literature, or another related field; master’s degree preferred
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible experience in communications, reporting, communications product development, and knowledge management for USAID or other international donor-funded programs
- Excellent writing skills and experience preparing well-researched reports
- Demonstrated experience designing strategic communications plans, developing and implementing knowledge management tools or systems, and developing content for social media platforms
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders in a multi-country setting
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word and PowerPoint), graphic arts, and/or desktop publishing software a plus
- Fluent English and Ukrainian/Russian is required
Qualified candidates should send their CV and cover letter to UkraineCCI_Recruitment@dai.com or via the DAI website. Only short-listed candidates will receive notice requesting additional information.