Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Syria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 14,831 USD yearly.
The ILO, through this intervention, focuses on strengthening the institutional capacity of the labour inspectorate in Syria in a gender responsive manner, including on modern labour inspection procedures and occupational safety and health (OSH). It aims at making the labour inspectorate an effective role in monitoring working conditions and environment and in promoting the fundamental principles and rights at work, particularly in sectors and workplaces with women dominance and high child labour incidence. The intervention also focuses on building the capacities of the social partners to enable them to engage in effective social dialogue aiming at promoting compliance with the national labour legislation and relevant international labour standards which are all expected to result in improved working conditions and OSH in terms of protected labour rights, decreased labour disputes and reduced work-related accidents, injuries and diseases.
Under the supervision of the national project coordinator and the overall supervision of the Regional Office for Arab States , the Operations Assistant will perform the following duties and will report directly to the national project coordinator, in collaboration with the Regional Programming Unit in Beirut.
- Assist with the planning and preparatory work of the project initiatives. Monitor status of project Interventions and receipt of documentation for review and approval, verifying that information is in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
Monitor the status of project outcomes and deliverables and inform the supervisor of any discrepancies. Compile, summarize and present a variety of information and data to the supervisor on issues pertinent to the project programme, including on budgets and other related topics or issues. Distribute project documents to concerned parties upon approval of supervisor.
- Maintain project financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for daily transactions and reports. Process accounts receivable including billing, manage cash receipts and petty cash.
- Process contracts for financial clearance and payment. Ensure the correctness and appropriateness of types of contracts used with each activity, and ensure all necessary supporting documents are attached. Follow-up on administrative matters, confirmation of funds, and other required administrative actions.
- Provide administrative and financial support for the organization of seminars, workshops, meetings and other events.
- Prepare routine correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information, follow-up as necessary with project and ILO staff, consultants and counterparts. Draw the attention of the Project manager to matters requiring immediate attention. Maintain and update databases. Perform basic searches for information and prepare and update periodic reports.
- Provide administrative and financial backstopping and guidance for project staff and consultants, with respect to payments, entitlements, travel claims, and other requirements relating to accounts and finance. Undertake monthly bank reconciliation and follow up on outstanding issues including contacting banks to clarify issues on account statements.
- Classify and assign budget codes, verify and process claims for payment, and check payment vouchers, prices and claims invoices. Monitor expenditure and budget allocations, updating information on local currency bank accounts and informing supervisor when funds need to be replenished.
- Review and request additional information on the financial reports of project implementing partners, ensuring compliance with ILO rules, before submitting to the Finance Unit. Maintain and update spreadsheets and databases for internal expenditure control purposes. Prepare inputs, run reports and extract and compile financial data and present information on the status of financial resources of the Office to support analysis and reporting needs.
- Consult with Regional Programming Unit and Regional Administration Services Unit in the Regional Office in Beirut on rules, regulations and procedures, and inform project staff, partners, consultants, interns of new or revised procedures and practices.
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for donor reporting, for budget preparation, audits or other reasons. Provide general office management support, including attending meetings and drafting correspondence.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Completion of secondary school education with formal training in accounting and/or finance and administrative field.
Five years of progressively responsible financial and administrative work, and some training in an administrative field.
Excellent command of Arabic and English.
- Knowledge and understanding of a complex body of financial and administrative rules, guidelines and procedures.
- Knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Good analytical skills. Ability to reason and make sound judgements.
- Ability to maintain financial records and prepare clerical accounting reports and statements.
- Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion.
- Must display high standards of ethical conduct.
- Proficient in basic computer software (Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Adobe Reader) and ability to use other software packages required by the Office.
- Ability to evaluate correspondence and inquiries for best course of action.
- Ability to respond to work related inquiries in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to obtain services from other work units inside or outside the office for completion of tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to clarify information.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.