Internews is seeking a Project Lead to be based in Bamako, Mali for a 2.5 year, USAID-funded project entitled “Empowering Malians through Election, Reform and Governance Efforts (EMERGE)”. Internews will be part of the National Democratic Institutes (NDI)’s team and work in collaboration with NDI and other Team Members on the Mali Electoral Support Activity (MESA) Program. The intent of the program is to leverage two decades of institutional partnerships formed with Malian civil society, including women’s organizations, media and political parties, to enhance citizen engagement and transparency in Malian electoral processes.
The Project Lead will provide strategic guidance and leadership for all Internews technical assistance activities for the EMERGE project in Mali. The Project Lead tasks will be to coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other stakeholders in the country to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Project Lead will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donors, partners and stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Provide general oversight of the program, including program management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and coordination with partners;
- Design and lead technical activities, including media assessments, training and mentoring;
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Internews projects in Mali – for both the donor (NDI) and the Internews Headquarters;
- Maintains relationships with donors through reporting, liaison and communications;
- Builds and maintains relationships with media outlets, local partners, (local CSOs) and international partners;
- Oversee the creation and development of communications materials to be shared and disseminated by with Internews HQ;
- Manage Internews staff and consultants that provide technical assistance to local Media partners;
- Communicate challenges facing the project, and articulate the project’s successes in meeting those challenges;
- Responsible for the quality, cost, and timeliness of performance of all work performed under the funding contract;
- Responsible for the Monitoring and Evaluation of the Project;
- Be responsible for the drafting and submission of all deliverables (work plan, quarterly reports, final reports, etc.);
- Strategize new directions for Internews to help independent media;
- Fundraise for project continuation;
- Reviews all financial reports and expense documentation;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values ;
- Additional duties as assigned
- Previous experience as a proactive Country Lead or Program Manager with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with counterparts, local and international organizations and donors.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets highly desirable.
- Previous experience working on gender and youth programs funded by international donors (preferably USAID).
- Media development experience preferably in West Africa, working experience and overall knowledge of Africa is essential.
- Strong communication skills.
- Fluency in French and English required.
- In-depth knowledge of USAID rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated abilities in:
- Management, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strategic development with resource scheduling, managing timelines, and leading team activities.
- Motivating, mentoring, and managing individuals and groups, resulting in high quality and timely work delivery.
- Serving as an organizational resource for process improvement and strategic decision-making.
- Ability to manage a variety of internal and external relationships.
- Strong analytical, training, oral and written communication and team-building skills.
- MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint required. Agresso or other ERP preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of a team.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.