About the role: This is a 24 month (renewable), new role with unaccompanied terms based in Goz Beida, Sila province and with a salary of Grade 3 €36,527 – €40,586 per annum plus benefits.
You will report to the Area Coordinator and you will line manage a team of up to 4 staff. You shall work closely with all Programme Managers, the Programme Director, the M&E Manager, Country Finance Manager.
Your purpose: The H&N Programme Manager, who will be based in Goz Beida, will lead the implementation, management and development of the H&N components of Concern’s programmes in eastern Chad. S/he will enhance programming and managerial skills of key Concern staff on the programme team and ensure close integration with the other programme teams. S/he will build on and strengthen Concern’s working relationship with relevant line Ministries in line with current MoUs between Concern and the ministries. The H&N Programme Manager will carry out assessments and lead on the implementation of emergency response programmes when necessary.
Particularly, the Health and Nutrition Manager will lead the implementation, management and development of H&N component within the current programme funded by Irish Aid and will support in the development of proposal for any potential funding opportunities covering Eastern Chad.
You will be responsible for:
- Manage the implementation of the health and nutrition programme in the Sila province ensuring timely and quality implementation through Concern Project Cycle Management tools.
- Oversee and support staff Health and Nutrition team in the day to day management of the implementation of the programme and ensure adequate planning of the activities.
- Lead the implementation of the Programme strategy and ensure the project team is trained in the relevant program areas, specifically: integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI), PCMA, CMAM Surge, Behavioural change and associated community activities; empowerment of the care group members and community health workers; mother to mother support groups; “engaging men in nutrition” strategy.
- Ensure the implementation of national health strategy in collaboration with the Health Centres including CPN (Prenatal consultation), CPoN (Postnatal consultation).
- Ensure effective collaboration between community and Health Centers in the implementation of PCIMA/PCIME.
- Promote multisector approach of the program ensuring the adequate implementation of gender sensitive nutrition, WASH/Nutrition components of the programme and cross cutting components.
- Ensure adequate monitoring and evaluation of the programme in close collaboration with the M&E manager including overseeing survey such as « SQUEAC » and « SMART ».
- Ensure the programme is implemented according to Concern’s results-based approach and provide relevant inputs to draw lesson learned including adaptation of implementation strategy when relevant.
- Supporting in ensuring the set-up of CRM for the programme implemented in the area of intervention.
Reporting and Donor Compliance
- Prepare timely and high quality internal and donor reports for the programme, in line with donor requirements (narrative and financial);
- Contribute to the development of high-quality concept notes and proposals for the health and nutrition programme.
- Lead in documenting (i.e. in the form of technical briefs, etc.) lessons learnt, best practices on H&N programme in the Sila province.
- Work in close relation with the Ministry of Health in the Sila Province and the project stakeholders.
- Represent concern in all relevant clusters and coordination mechanism with other NGOs, UN Agencies and state counterparts.
- Manage and provide leadership to the project team, contributing to their capacity building and career development including through on-the-job training.
- Ensure that the team have up to date job descriptions, clear objectives and identify and facilitate training when required.
- Ensure that each member of the team fully understands outcomes which are expected of them, by setting SMART objectives, and that they are aware of the success criteria relating to their work
- Ensure that all staff are aware of and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures
- Monitor and review performance and hold staff accountable for meeting the success criteria; give corrective feedback where required and take decisive action in the case of poor performance
- Ensure that staff and contractors are compliant and fully understand their obligations when signing Concern Code of Conduct and its associated policies, and where non-compliance is suspected, to inform a member of the SMT so that the appropriate action can be taken by the Country Director.
Finance, Administration and Logistics
- Ensure accurate management of the programme budget to ensure that activities are delivered in a timely and cost-efficient way.
- Monitor programme budgets and management accounts to ensure that relevant activities are being implemented in accordance with agreed budgets
- Prepare procurement plans and work with logistics to ensure timely procurement of all necessary supplies.
- Participate in contract design, tendering and contractor performance as required for the implementation of interventions
- Support the update of Concern’s national strategy and provide relevant information through emergency assessment when required to design rapid response project in the country.
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of Concern Code of Conduct and its associated policies, including the respect of confidentiality.
- Ensure the team adheres closely to security protocols and procedures and support the Emergency Programme Coordinator in security management.
- Other duties as assigned by the Area Coordinator.
Your skills and experience will include:
- PhD in Health or equivalent, Master 2 in Public Health and Nutrition or equivalent.
- Fluent in French and professional competencies in English.
- Minimum of three years overseas experience with an NGO implementing full Nutrition and health Programmes
- Experience in strategic development and support of nutrition and health programmes, including mainstreaming of crosscutting themes such as HIV and AIDS, gender, equality.
- Experience working in nutrition interventions, including CMAM
- Experience working with Primary Health Care (PHC) and in PCIMA/PCIME.
- Knowledge and experience in the most common assessment and survey methodologies such as SMART, SQEAC and related software.
- Experience in working with and capacity building of national staff and partner organisations.
- Experience in community mobilization / behavioural change strategies
- Familiarity with CMAM Surge or general health systems strengthening principles and programming experience
- Previous experience in Chad and/or in the region.
- Experience in implementation of programme in partnership with local and national administration.
We would also like:
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Empathy with Concern’s goals & commitment to capacity building, protection and participation
- Good communication and training / capacity building skills
- Proven organisation, planning and management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and lead diverse teams
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Knowledge of computer applications i.e. Microsoft word, Excel, communications systems.
- Ability to live and work in a close team environment.