Location: Remote, based in the LAC region
Duration: 12 months fixed term contract
Commencing: April 2021
Line manager: Programme Officer, Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC)
Term & LOE: Full-time; 100%
Salary range: Depending on experience
Internews is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews provides communities the resources to produce local news and information with integrity and independence. With global expertise and reach, Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, introduces innovative media solutions, increases coverage of vital issues and helps establish policies needed for open access to information.
Internews programmes create platforms for dialogue and enable informed debate, which bring about social and economic progress. Internews’ commitment to research and evaluation creates effective and sustainable programs, even in the most challenging environments.
Internews operates internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, and London, as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews has worked in more than 90 countries, and currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
About the role
Reporting to the Programme Officer for LAC, the Programme Assistant for LAC will support the implementation of a Rapid Response Fund in the region.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Officer with any administrative duties pertaining to managing sub-granting processes.
- Provide support with processing and monitoring payments, identifying bottlenecks, and troubleshooting problems, as necessary.
- Monitor and provide 1-1 assistance to sub-grantees for the management of their grant, as required.
- Work with the Programme Officer to monitor sub-grantee delivery and maintain up to date records on file.
- Assist the dissemination of calls for proposals through mailing lists, outreach and investigating prospective outlets, as required.
- Facilitate and support webinars for prospective sub-grantees.
- Conduct vetting on prospective sub-grantees.
- Assist Programme Officer in collecting and maintaining project monitoring data.
- Assist Programme Officer in preparing and maintaining briefing documents for internal and external purposes.
- Arrange logistics for events, as required.
- Participate in meetings, including notetaking and following up on action points.
- Other administrative duties as assigned by the LAC team.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Organisation skills and ability to prioritise
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously in a remote work environment
- Interest and/or experience in media and the international development sector
- Interest and/or experience in monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL)
- Experience working in the LAC region
Closing date for applications: 12 March 2021
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience. The successful candidate will also be asked to provide three professional referees, one of whom must be from their most recent employer.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.