With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Program Operations & Financial Analyst, Health is a key member in ensuring the successful operation of the budgetary and operational control systems for the Health program. The Program Operations & Financial Analyst, Health will be asked to organize data, build spreadsheets and financial reports, review contracts and grants, perform financial analysis and projections, and help spot variances and issues in budget making, budget administration, and other program-wide issues and systems. S/he will represent program finances as appropriate to other departments in the organization. The Program Operations & Financial Analyst, Health will work with staff throughout the program and in other departments to ensure the production of timely, accurate and insightful financial information.
The Program Operations & Financial Analyst, Health will report to the Director of Program Operations, Health and will work closely with EDF’s finance department.
• Work with Director of Program Operations, Health, program staff, finance staff, and development staff to develop annual budget submission.
• Work with Director of Program Operations, Health and project staff to ensure they have the information they need to manage daily responsibilities.
• Assist Director of Program Operations, Health to develop best practices, techniques and tools for project planning, execution, project management, ongoing milestone/deliverable tracking, and development of key performance metrics.
• Assist Director of Program Operations, Health with managing HR functions for the program, including recruiting and scheduling interviews.
• Review monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; investigates, analyzes, and explains variances from budget for income and expense line items; and advises Director, Finance and Operations on trends and issues of concern.
• Organize data and create clear and accurate presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics, and accurate, insightful summary material.
• Work with Vice President, Health Program, program management, program staff, finance staff, and development staff to develop new project/grant budget proposals submitted outside the annual budget process.
• Assist Director of Program Operations, Health with periodic milestone reporting and the completion of annual milestone reports in conjunction with submission of the annual budget.
• Under guidance of the Director of Program Operations, Health, assist and coordinate on the proper allocation of resources to meet the program’s operational priorities.
• Participate in annual development of program financial goal setting and work plan budgets.
• Coordinate the hiring of consultants, ensuring process and contracts are in accordance with EDF guidelines, with special attention to potential international issues.
• Serve as one of the program’s primary contacts with the finance department, accounting, and development staff to insure coordination of financial management efforts and timely resolution of issues.
• Work with staff to ensure that invoices and expenses are coded properly and paid in a timely fashion.
• Oversee local processes for departmental review and coding of expense item; and educate staff regarding the budget process and financial management.
• Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
• Bachelor’s degree with business management, finance, accounting, or mathematics major and at least three years of finance, accounting, or operations experience required.
• Understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management preferred.
• Detail-oriented ability to work with financial data, spot trends, and ensure accuracy.
• Advanced project management and analytical skills.
• A high degree of proficiency in MS Office suite, particularly Excel. Must be able to work with Excel to develop charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership.
• Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and reporting software packages.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills with enthusiasm for team approach and problem solving.
• Self-motivated, creative, and attentive to detail.
• Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.