The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Reports to: Senior Program Officer – Middle East and North Africa
Scope: This position is based in Washington, D.C. with travel to the region. This position is responsible for managing a new livelihoods program for Syrian and other refugees and host communities in Turkey. The Program Officer will manage an international consortium of implementing partners involving multiple sub-awards; design, develop, and implement program activities; oversee CIPE’s Turkey office and staff; manage information flow and reporting; and contribute to the development and implementation of project communications strategies. The position reports to the Senior Program Officer for the Middle East and North Africa.
- Provide day-to-day management and administrative oversight of a U.S. government-funded livelihoods project for Syrian and other refugees and host communities in Turkey, focused on entrepreneurship development.
- Oversee an international consortium of implementing partners involving multiple sub-awards, including planning and facilitation of remote engagements and in-country interventions. Conduct necessary coordination among partners to ensure optimal efforts and outcomes. Establish and maintain regular communications among implementing partners.
- Ensure accountability to project deliverables, beneficiaries, and donor requirements. Monitor sub-awardee performance to ensure full compliance with objectives, financial and reporting requirements, and evaluation plan. Write narrative summaries and interim assessments.
- Evaluate project through on-site visits, file reviews, and coordination with independent evaluators where appropriate. Write narrative reports and final evaluations.
- Lead the design and development of operations (policies, practices, and procedures) of two entrepreneurship incubators in Turkey; assessment and capacity-building tools; training content; events; and sustainability elements, marshalling needed expertise and providing technical assistance as appropriate in service of the program’s beneficiary-participants.
- Maintain constructive working relationship with project’s donor, identifying linkages with CIPE strategies, monitoring trends, and assessing new opportunities. Prepare related concept notes and proposals as required.
- Monitor current events and U.S. relations in relevant countries and assess the impact on ongoing and planned CIPE projects.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategy for accomplishing CIPE’s objectives in the MENA region, while focusing on assigned project.
- Understand and adhere to appropriate grant and office procedures, as well as CIPE policies.
- Maintain program correspondence and operational records.
- Act as the liaison to HQ for the field office(s) and field office staff, as necessary, in their reporting and processing requirements.
- Supervise, develop, and manage junior program staff.
- Manage or contribute to other CIPE MENA programs as called upon.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in International Relations/Development or related field
- Minimum five years professional experience with international assistance programs, including two involving the MENA region
- Professional experience in the food industry preferred
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with international partners and donors
- Strong project management skills preferred
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage and monitor project budgets
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and supervise junior staff
- Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Turkish preferred, but not required
- Strong IT Skills in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Must be willing to travel for extended and multiple periods