About the Opportunity
Under the supervision of the Middle East and North Africa Senior Program Officer, the Middle East and North Africa Program Officer performs high level tasks and directly manages at least one Internews project with fiscal oversight of the program. In addition, the Program Officer supports other programs within the Program Unit.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have extraordinary attention to detail and organizational capacity; great written and oral communication skills; a love for keeping things moving and on track; a voracious desire to learn; and the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world. We work hard, laugh easily, and cheer each other on, so you also need to be ready for that.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Internews’ Headquarters offices will be closed through at least 1 July 2021. Until then, this position will be expected to function remotely. The candidate will be expected to reside in the Washington, DC metro area and have the desire and ability to commute to the downtown DC office once it is safe to do so.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in te world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Manage all aspects of grant programs including grant program oversight and administration, grant application/proposal review and processing, funders and partners, oversee grant program evaluation and benchmarking, prepare reports and other duties as needed;
- Assist with project oversight, including financial tracking and progress towards program deliverables;
- Provide mentoring and backstopping to field offices and new project directors;
- Prepare proposals/reports/monitoring and evaluation, including text editing of proposals;
- Compile monthly program updates and internal briefs on Middle East and North Africa programming;
- Support local partners in the Middle East and North Africa Programs with proposal development, fundraising, and organizational development in coordination with Internews International;
- Identify opportunities for new program development and expansion;
- Assist with the development of strategic partnerships;
- Main point of contact for all local partner’s programmatic inquiries;
- Support with recruitment for the Middle East and North Africa team;
- Train and mentoring of new local staff;
- Lead field offices opening; registration, leases, contracts, and hiring;
- Represent Internews at conferences and events, with funders and with policy experts;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For
- Minimum 5 years programmatic experience in relevant non-profit
- Degree or advanced degree in a related field
- Extensive grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency
- Keen understanding and interest in the Middle East and North Africa Region
- Ability to drive and manage multiple projects and campaigns simultaneously
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and do any task required to get the job done
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Excellent research skills and relevant experience, and proficiency in MS Office
- Strong teamwork experience and proven track record of collaborative approach to problem solving
- Fluency in written and spoken English and either Arabic, French or Kurdish, with superb writing skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Highly organized and structured
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consisted with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.