Under the supervision of the LAC Regional Director, the Program Officer performs high level tasks and directly manages at least one Internews project with fiscal oversight of the program. This role will manage multiple programs and related subgrants to local, regional and international organizations: tracking deliverables, leading reporting, working closely with a program associate, and engaging business management staff as needed. In addition, the Program Officer supports other programs within the Program Unit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly manage at least one of Internews’ small projects under the Central America portfolio;
- Responsible for programmatic development and project support for LAC programs;
- Assist the Regional Director, Project Director and Business Officer with project oversight, including financial tracking and progress towards program deliverables;
- Develop and monitor the portfolio’s subgrants and contracts
- Direct budget/agreement negotiation with subrecipient
- Following up with subrecipient to get responses
- In collaboration with Business Officer, develop and monitor budget
- Review and approval of programmatic report
- Direct report/payment clarification/negotiation with subrecipient
- Payment request/WTR
- Prepare proposals/reports/budgets, including text editing of proposals;
- Prepare correspondence and reports from conferences and discussion panels;
- Create and implement a strategy for improved communications on program activities and accomplishments;
- Carry out research as assigned and in support of ongoing projects and new initiatives;
- Represent Internews at conferences and events, with funders and with policy experts;
- Support local partners in the Program Unit with proposal development, fundraising, and organizational development;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Minimum 5 years programmatic experience in relevant non-profit
- Relevant university degree required
- Extensive grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency
- Language proficiency a significant asset; other regional language skills helpful
- Experience in developing or supporting programs
- Experience with the LAC region
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments
- Proficient in MS Office
- Experience with diverse information environments and technologies that support access to information, and experience with privacy, censorship circumvention and anonymity tools (such as Signal, VPNs, and Tor).
- Experience implementing US government-funded programs, or other programs with significant reporting, evaluation, and compliance components.
- Previous work experience with USAID programs and projects
- Experience with legal/regulatory issues and/or policy advocacy a significant asset
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.