Internews is seeking a Program Officer who would be primarily responsible for programs supporting the development of open source tools protecting digital safety and access to uncensored information worldwide. This role will manage multiple programs and related subgrants to local organizations and technology development partners: tracking deliverables, leading reporting, managing and working closely with a program associate, and engaging business management staff as needed.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have extraordinary written and oral communication skills; a passion for using technology to change the world; a voracious desire to learn; a belief that all technology can be explained and understood clearly no matter how complicated; and the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world. We dress casually, laugh easily, call each other out for tech-jargon abuses, and cheer each other on, so you also need to be ready for that.
Note: Hiring will be contingent upon finalization of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide management, representational and operational oversight for technical programs.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with international and local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Support associated subgrants and contracts with significant technical elements, ensuring the project stays on course and in compliance while reacting to emerging events.
- Manage reporting and evaluation aspects, including recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track, and ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities, including managing privacy-respectful data aggregation.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Work and contribute to a close-knit, highly collaborative team culture.
We’re seeking candidates who bring common sense, skill, and dedication to strengthening our work supporting CSOs around the world. We are seeking a team member who excels at managing technical projects with multiple priorities and is excited to get involved and learn the content of the work in addition to the structure of managing it.
- A least 3 years of progressively responsible experience, including work with civil society organizations and/or software development processes.
- Experience working with and supporting Open Source tool development and/or communities
- Proven experience managing complex projects.
- A strong reputation for developing collaborative working relationships with diverse counterparts and colleagues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The proven ability, or overwhelming desire, to work in a multicultural environment requiring frequent travel and coordination across multiple time zones.
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement about joining a supportive, skilled, diverse team that is devoid of rock stars and loves learning new technologies.
- Experience with diverse information environments and technologies that support access to information, and experience with privacy, censorship circumvention and anonymity tools (such as Signal, VPNs, and Tor).
- Experience implementing US government-funded programs, or other programs with significant reporting, evaluation, and compliance components.
Our hiring process for this position reflects guidance from The Management Center and Project Include.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. The Cover Letter should be no longer than one page and explain why you’d be a great fit for this position, and what drew you to it. Since successful applicants must be excellent communicators, we will screen candidates based on their cover letter, and will look for candidates who present a clear, compelling response to the duties and qualifications listed above. Candidates with the strongest cover letter will move on to a resume review by a diverse panel, and we will then conduct phone screenings of finalists in order to determine 3-5 top candidates for interviews. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis and would like to hire this position quickly.
Diverse teams are strong teams. Our team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network and is based out of the Washington, DC office. Remote work will be considered. Internews cannot offer relocation support. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.