With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Washington, D.C., Boston, New York or Remote US
About EDF+Business: we are a cross-cutting program within EDF that engages the business community on driving large-scale environmental change. We believe companies, communities and the environment can thrive in unison – and we’re making it happen by leveraging the power of the marketplace. For 25 years, we’ve combined cutting-edge science, economic expertise and unexpected partnerships to help high-impact companies transform business as usual in their products, operations, supply chains and advocacy.
Our world needs healthy environments and healthy businesses to truly thrive – EDF+Business is forging solutions that benefit both. For more information on our work, visit business.edf.org.
The Financial Analyst is a key staff member in the operation of the budgetary and financial control systems for the EDF+Business Program. The Financial Analyst will build, track, and analyze project budgets that, when combined, comprise a $10M+ annual Program budget. The Financial Analyst will help spot variances and issues in budget management, grant reporting and other program-wide systems. The Financial Analyst will pull together and analyze data from multiple sources for Program management reporting and decision-making. The Financial Analyst will be the main contact between the EDF+Business Program and the Finance Department to ensure the timely and accurate execution of financial activities and policies. This position reports to the EDF+Business Senior Financial Analyst and is a member of the EDF+Business Operations Team.
- In collaboration with the Senior Financial Analyst, develop annual operating budgets for each of the Program’s initiatives.
- Using accounting system data and in coordination with Program staff, lead the month-end close process. Produce monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; update projections; investigate and analyze variances; advise on spending trends; and coordinate any follow-up accounting entries needed.
- Act as the lead contact between the Program and Finance for organization-wide procedures and process improvement initiatives. Educate program staff regarding operational processes and financial management as needed, including providing trainings and creating helpful templates and tools. Help the team transition to our new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platform.
- Approve draft contracts and approve invoices for payment, ensuring proper alignment with budget.
- Assist in the development of grant and donor proposal budgets, and in the preparation of grant and donor financial reports.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that will provide decision-making support on strategic initiatives, including organizing data and creating clear and accurate spreadsheets, graphics, and summary data.
- Create and maintain electronic files and databases of Program financial and operations data.
- Bachelor’s degree (finance, accounting, or business management major preferred), with at least 2-4 years experience in a business or nonprofit setting. Additional experience in finance or accounting may be considered in lieu of a business degree.
- Demonstrated familiarity of nonprofit accounting principles and grants management is preferred.
- A high degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Detail-oriented and accurate in working with complex financial data. Ability to explain and discuss nuances at a granular level.
- Big picture thinker with the ability to spot trends across project budgets and comprehend how individual data rolls up to achieve key program goals and milestones.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills, with the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Excellent analytical skills, and the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for team approach and problem solving.
- An interest and curiosity about EDF+Business’ work and approach, with a willingness to ask questions.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and reporting software packages a plus.
- Must advance EDF DEI goals in which People from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
- Must demonstrate cultural awareness and the knowledge, attitude, behavior, and skills that lead to a culturally competent workplace. Must demonstrate a commitment to continued self-assessment, learning and growth to increase and broaden culturally competent skillsets that produce effective interactions with People across diverse cultures and backgrounds. This includes the ability to adapt to cultural change.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.