Reporting to the Country Director, the Program Director oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of related to ongoing program activities in north Syria and Turkey including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities. Additionally, the Program Director will work closely with the CD for the strategic development and management of Relief International’s programs. As head of programs and technical departments (Health and Wash) he/she will in charge of the implementing RI’s projects and to improve the quality and capacity of the programs. This position will require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context.
Essential Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization.
- Develop new programmatic initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program
- Provide overall guidance and direction focusing the program team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives;
- Contribute and lead program development efforts by identifying opportunities and working with Turkey CD , as well as RI’s regional and headquarters-based Program Development department to draft proposals to respond to those opportunities; Participate in the development of funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services; Innovation and creativity will be essential.
- Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks, communicating and collaborating regularly with the CD, Operations Manager and Security Manager.
- Oversee all programs being implemented by RI Turkey.
- Provide leadership to the RI team, coaching team leaders on program strategy and vision and providing accountability for quality, impact and on track implementation of activities.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of technical and program reports as per the grant agreement; Report progress of program implementation to the donor periodically through required weekly, monthly or quarterly reports;
- Ensure contingency plans are always up to date and evolving as needed;
- Establish and maintain systems for program operations in accordance with RI policies and procedures;
- Ensure that program activities comply with all donor and Turkish legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document program activities
- Support the role out of remote based management tools and ensure senior program staff are trained on the tools
- Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program implementation
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Department, develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify and implement action plans regarding areas for improvement
- Ensure monitoring, evaluating and documenting of program implementation against indicators; Ensure that activities are on track, including developing and implementing solutions as necessary
- Following M&E reports, recommend and implement changes to enhance the program, as appropriate.
- Provide regular feedback to program teams on progress and challenges
Human Resources and Finance
- Oversee staff recruitment, setting professional development and learning objectives and providing supportive supervision and coaching to program team members.
- Ensure program team staffing is balanced, effective and sufficient. Ensure adherence to and enforcement of Turkey HR policies including punctuality, productivity and principles of a professional work environment within the program team. Consistency is highly valued.
- Develop an annual program budget and operating plan to support the program, interfacing closely with all other key departments including Finance, HR, Operations, Security and the CD.
- In collaboration with the CD and Finance Manager maintain oversight of all program related expenses and conduct regular budget versus actual meetings with budget holders, ensuring no over or under spending.
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures according to budget-holding responsibilities.
- Ensure program implementation and budget use is in compliance with grant requirements per donor (OFDA, ECHO and UNICEF at present) with the support of the Finance Manager.
- Represent RI in external coordination meetings and participate in donor meetings and other technical forum
- Maintain effective and regular communication with donors and other stakeholders
- Participate in NGO sector coordination groups and identify areas for coordination and collaboration; Networking and bilateral meeting are key to success in this context.
- Maintain effective communication with CD and other department heads, and with RSO regarding program implementation as required;
- Perform other duties as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent years of experience in management, public health, development studies, social sciences or related field;
- Minimum of five years professional experience leading, managing, and implementing emergency response programs, preferably in a conflict setting;
- Demonstrated background and knowledge of ECHO, UNICEF, UNHCR and/or USAID Rules and Regulations;
- Demonstrated experience in management of health, WASH, FSL, education, cash or other relevant sectors highly desirable;
- Demonstrated background and contacts with U.N. agencies and other international emergency response and development actors;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Fluent English required and Arabic or Turkish language skills preferred;
- Strong English writing skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation