The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks a Program Director to join its Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) team in the Washington, DC office, this role leads and oversees several country programs that are complex in scope or large grant funded programs for a single country. This role would manage other team members and contribute to the larger strategic elements of the programmatic themes, planning and execution.
- Leads in day-to-day internal management of multiple countries and acts as management focal point in absence of regional director and/or deputy director.
- Leads and oversees team members in the planning, design and evaluation of NDI’s projects in collaboration with local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
- Develops and maintains collaborative external relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations in the U.S. and the region, national and international news organizations, political party networks and partners, and NDI’s network of volunteer trainers and experts.
- Responsible for oversight of the annual budget; working with staff to provide a full, accurate and timely accounting of all funds.
- Provides guidance to field directors on NDI and donor policies and procedures.
- Monitors political events in the assigned regional department.
- Serves as senior-level NDI representative at local and international conferences and meetings and assists with NDI’s public outreach.
- Leads and supervises staff in documenting program progress and achievements, ensuring quality control of written quarterly and semi-annual reports; provides final edits on generated documents.
- Travels to assigned countries to assess political development, new opportunities and evaluates current programs; serves as “Resident Director” in absence of established office or staff.
- Collaborates with the regional director, deputy director and country directors on fundraising initiatives.
- Manages subordinates including conducting yearly performance reviews, coaching on performance, recruiting and filling staff vacancies; orchestrates recruiting activities for assigned region in the field (i.e., approves job descriptions under established guidance, selects candidates for short-lists and interviews.)
Peripheral Accountabilities/Responsibilities (Non-essential)
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- This position manages direct reports in both Washington, DC and in the assigned region.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in International Relations or related subject; graduate degree desired.
- A minimum of 12 years relevant work experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development, legislative affairs, or impressive experience at NDI. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- Extensive program design and strategic planning experience as it relates to executing program activities; this including managing staff, completing budget management activities with large grants or handling multiple programs or countries
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy makers
- Superior oral and written communications skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and negotiate details
- Fluency in English and Spanish required; Additional linguistic abilities in French also useful
- Exceptional skills for analyzing complex program and political issues and to think innovatively and introduce new concepts
- Superior writing skills, clear and persuasive and experienced in editing of written materials
- Ability to establish network of significant contacts and political leaders
- Prior demonstrated management and leadership experience with the capability of leading, inspiring and motivating staff to carry out NDI’s objectives
- Ability to lead regional team-wide capacity building sessions for junior staff
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Experience managing budget planning and overseeing budget related tasks
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which are often remote and difficult to reach
- Experience in writing technical documentation
- Knowledge of basic networking
- Knowledge of project management applications such as JIRA
- Knowledge of server operations, data communications and systems analysis and networks.
- Knowledge of networking, client server architecture, cloud computing and enterprise system architecture
- Knowledge of network security standards, policies and implementation techniques
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Job Knowledge
2. Problem Solving/Decision Making
4. Collaborating with Others
5. Financial Stewardship
This job operates in an office setting in an open plan environment and may require sitting for long periods of time. The open plan environment consists of larger open spaces with less walls, offices or rooms. There can be periods of activity and talking amongst other employees that can be seen or heard more frequently in an open plan environment.
This role has daily, regular uses of office equipment such as computers, smartphones, copiers, and scanners which involves close visual activity, fingering, grasping, and reaching. This role has regular sedentary work with heavy use of cognitive skills. Frequently this position requires moving computers or other equipment and crawling into tight spaces to resolve technical issues. This would require the ability to lift or carry up to 25 lbs and frequently bend, twisting, or squatting.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m however there may be flexibility depending on department needs. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
There is international travel associated with this role. There may be occasional local travel but rare.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible and authorized to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
As a result of COVID19, this position will start in a remote capacity. However, when the office re-opens, this position will be based in our Washington, DC office and the expectation is that you would be based locally by October 2021 to fulfill this obligation. NDI does not cover relocation costs for this position.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical-related condition.
To apply for this position, please visit the NDI website at: http://www.ndi.org/careers.